LSA Course Guide Search Results: UG, Fall 2022, Subject = ARTSADMN

Courses in Arts Administration

School of Music, Theatre & Dance

It is possible for LSA students to elect a major in Music or a minor in Global Theatre and Ethnic Studies, Performing Arts Management, Design and Production, or Music, and these programs are described on the LSA website. In addition, Theatre and Drama (THTREMUS) courses and Music courses are frequently elected by LSA students not majoring or minoring in either Music or Theatre.

All courses in Music History/Musicology, Composition, and Music Theory are electable for LSA credit; some but not all Theatre and Drama courses are available for LSA credit. Some of these courses can be used in an area distribution plan. LSA students may elect music Performance courses for degree credit, but this credit counts toward the maximum twenty non-LSA credit hours that can be applied toward an LSA degree.

Creative Expression Distribution Credit

The following University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance courses have Creative Expression distribution designation (Credits are counted as LSA courses):

Music Composition (COMP)
221. Introduction to Elementary Composition.
222. Composition.

Theatre and Drama (THTREMUS)
101. Introduction to Acting 1.
102. Introduction to Acting 2.
110. Introduction to Acting for the Camera.
181. Acting I
227 / ENGLISH 227. Introductory Playwriting.
240. Introduction to Design.
242. Directing II.
245. Introduction to Stage Management.

The following University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance courses have Creative Expression distribution designation (Credits are counted as Non-LSA):

Performance — Piano (PIANO)
110. Performance. (non-LSA).
111. Performance. (non-LSA).

Dance (DANCE)
100. Introduction to Dance. (non-LSA).
261. Congolese Dance. (non-LSA).
262. Congolese Dance. (non-LSA).

Ensemble (ENS): All Courses 100-399. (non-LSA). .

Courses (100-399) in Music Performance SUBJECTS, (viz., other than Piano Performance, may also be used for Creative Expression, but enrollment is restricted to students of advanced ability).

Music Performance Courses

Students of advanced ability may elect instrumental or voice instruction through the University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance provided teaching assistant or faculty time is available. This instruction, which consists of half-hour weekly lessons for two credits, is not available to beginners.

The online application process for Studio (private) instruction opens at the end of each term, for the upcoming term.  Students should go to the School of Music, Theatre & Dance website (, Current Students > Student Resources > Studio Application and fill out the online application per the directions.

It is the student's responsibility to initiate contact with the assigned instructor. Students enrolled in performance courses must provide their own instruments (except organ and piano); practice facilities are available at the University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance.

When registering, students should note that:

  1. there is a different division number for each instrument (see Schedule of Classes);
  2. LS&A students should use course number 150; and
  3. there is a different section number for each instructor.

Questions concerning registration for performance instruction should be directed to the SMTD Office of Academic Affairs, 2277 Moore, phone 734-764-2516.

Please not that not applicants can be placed - available teacher-hours are limited, and priority is given to performance majors in the School of Music, Theatre & Dance. 

Students who cannot earn degree credit from performance courses cannot be accommodated by this program.


A wide variety of music performing ensembles are available to LS&A students. Principal among these, for instrumentalists, are Ensemble (ENS) 344 (University Campus Orchestra) and 346 (Campus Band), as well as ENS 348 (U-M Marching Band), for which an audition is required. Other instrumental ensembles, both orchestras and bands, are designed primarily for School of Music, Theatre & Dance students, but LS&A students with a performance background are encouraged to audition for these groups as well. Vocalists may audition for the University Arts Chorale (designated for the LS&A population), but may also audition for the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance vocal ensembles, including the University Choir (ENS 349), the University Chamber Choir (ENS 350), the Choral Union (ENS 354), and  the Men's and Women's Glee Clubs (ENS 353 and 356). In addition, many LSA students have participated in performing ensembles sponsored by the ethnomusicology faculty, such as the Javanese gamelan (ENS 405), for which no prior background is required.

 No music performing ensemble carries LSA credit (except for those cross-listed with LSA: ENS 405, 406, 407).

Course Listings

Courses in Theatre, Music History/Musicology, Composition, Music Theory, and Performing Arts Technology are listed in the Schedule of Classes under the School of Music, Theatre & Dance.

  Page 1 of 1, Results 1 - 1 of 1  
Class Instruction Mode
  Page 1 of 1, Results 1 - 1 of 1