Where are you on the path towards choosing your major?
All But Declared?
- See your prospective department's website for info about pre-reqs, requirements, and opportunities for majors.
- Make a list of your goals, a plan for what you want to accomplish in the department, and questions about the department's requirements, resources, and opportunities.
- Schedule an appointment with a department advisor to declare and discuss your goals, plan, and questions.
Narrowing It Down, but Still Haven't Decided?
- Talk to relevant department advisors about the courses, instructors, and opportunities in the department. Ask them about what their graduates have gone on to do.
- Talk to peer advisors and/or current majors about what drew them to the field, what opportunities it has given them, and what their future plans are.
- Take more intro classes or an upper-level class in the departments in which you are most interested. Think about related departments and take intro classes in them, too.
- Look through the list of Majors and then look at websites of ones that look interesting.
- Talk to people, lots of people (general and department advisors, friends, family, current majors in departments whose classes interest you).
- Take a wide range of classes, trying out areas of potential interest.
- Attend the Major/Minor Expo, held every Winter semester.
- Use the 4 worksheets on choosing a major for your own reflection and to begin a conversation with your advisor.
4 Self-Reflection Worksheets:
- Exploring the unknown "Wow / Interesting / Pass"
- Exploring your many sides "Me, Myself, and I"
- Examining academic differences "Everyone Asks Questions"
- Acknowledging influences "Push/Pull"
Related to Major: Policies, Procedures, BGS & ICP
The Major/Minor Expo is the focal point of Major/Minor Week, during which departments across LSA put on events designed to aid you in your selection of a major or a minor, and many of these sessions address career questions and concerns as well.
Focus is designed to be an easy starting point for students exploring majors and minors
- Courses & Registration
- Wolverine Access Tutorials
- Academic Calendar
Knowing the Expectations for Your Degree
- Choosing a Major
- Cross-Campus Transfers
- Transfer Student Programming