Mindfulness@UMICH

84% of Michigan students participating in Mindfulness@Umich reported that mindfulness helped improve their overall academic performance by:

• increasing motivation to attend class
  • better managing test anxiety
  • studying more effectively
  • and experiencing improved concentration and focus

Mindfulness@Umich drop-in sessions (Fall 2015 and Winter 2016)

• 30 minutes, free, and all U-M students are welcome
  • Mondays:  10:45-11:15am
    Thursdays: 4:15-4:45pm G243  Angell Hall

Contact:  Denise Kozikowski, PhD  dkozikow@umich.edu or sign-up here

About Denise

Students, sign up here

Mindfulness@Umich in the News

Frequently Asked QuestionsIf you're new to the sessions, have a look at the FAQs below

I signed up a long time ago, can I begin coming now?  

No problem!  The sessions are drop-in and are meant to be flexible.  No stress!

I'll be a few minutes late.  Will this be a problem?  

Not at all!  Stop by as soon as you can and stay as long as time allows.  It's no problem to enter the room if we have already started or to leave a little early.   The sessions begin on time (not "Michigan time").  If you have to enter late or leave a little early, we just ask that you are quiet.  Thank you, in advance.

Are the sessions always in Angell Hall?  ​

We almost always practice in Angell Hall, but ​when the weather is nice, we might have a session in the Law Commons Courtyard or in the Arb.  I will send a reminder the day we meet and will let you know where we'll be sitting.

Is there anything that I need to know about the sessions?

The meditations are guided (which means there will be speaking throughout the meditation) and they ​last ​ for 20-25 minutes.  We typically sit in chairs, but feel free to bring a cushion or sit on the floor if that is more comfortable.  We often end the practice with a short metta or gratitude meditation.  At the very end of the session, we'll spend a few minutes talking about issues that may have arisen in your meditation, recent research that you might find useful, and ways to practice outside of the session.  I'm always available for a few minutes after the session to speak with you privately.

I signed up and I can't make it every week.  

It's no problem to join in whenever your schedule allows.  There is no pressure to come to every session. 

Can I be removed from this list?  

Absolutely!  Some of you have signed up even though you're not sure that you'll attend.  I will keep you on this list (you'll receive two reminder emails a week) until you send me a note to be removed.  You can be removed from this list at any time and you're welcome to be ​re-added ​to the list ​again as it suits your needs. 

• Denise Kozikowski

Denise Kozikowski, Ph.D.

Academic Advisor 1255 Angell Hall

(734) 764.0332 / dkozikow@umich.edu