About BGS

The BGS program allows a truly creative, aware, well-motivated student -- which I don't pretend I was -- to create just the program he needs. It allowed the rest of us to pursue and develop our interests. We probably came away from the "U" more broadly educated than our peers.

[Reprinted by permission of the Michigan Alumnus Magazine]

A BGS graduate who was a resident physician in pathology at the University of Vermont put it this way:

"In my case my transcript speaks for itself and contains a fair number of graduate level courses in the biological sciences as well as the routine 100-200 level courses in chemistry and physics that are required for entry into medical school; none were easy, at least for me. Ultimately, I think a careful reading of one's transcript is far more revealing than the specific title of the degree program."

What is the Bachelor in General Studies degree?The Bachelor in General Studies is an interdisciplinary degree which allows a student to combine subject areas and skills in a way that focuses intellectual development through a lens of interdisciplinarity.

In 1968, the faculty of the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts voted to create the Bachelor in General Studies (BGS) degree. This degree remains an option for students with interdisciplinary or alternate academic interests, allowing them to pursue their interests in an individually designed degree program independent of departmental requirements.

The Bachelor in General Studies is an interdisciplinary degree which allows a student to combine subject areas and skills in a way that focuses intellectual development through a lens of interdisciplinarity. It requires a minimum of 120 credits and an overall grade point average (gpa) of 2.0. Within these 120 credits, students must fulfill specific requirements.

There is abundant evidence during the past thirty years that indicates acceptance of the degree. Employers and graduate schools give equal consideration to BGS students who meet the specific requirements of a graduate or professional school, who perform at a high level, and who select coherent undergraduate courses. Graduate and professional schools and employers are far more concerned with the courses selected and a student's performance than with a degree label.

Bachelor in General Studies Degree Program

Newnan LSA Academic Advising Center
1255 Angell Hall
435 South State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48103-1003

p: (734) 764-0332
fax: (734) 764-2772
e-mail: ask.bgs.advising@umich.edu