Frequently Asked Questions About Distribution

1. May I use for distribution any "extra" courses from my concentration department that I don't need for my concentration?
  2. Can I use AP credits toward the Distribution Requirement?
  3. Can I use transfer credit from another college for distribution?
  4. Can I take courses in the School of Music, or Art, or Architecture for distribution?
  5. May I take courses I am using for distribution pass/fail?
  6. Can distribution courses also be used for the Race & Ethnicity, Quantitative Reasoning and the Upper-Level Writing Course?

1.  May I use for distribution any "extra" courses from my concentration department that I don't need for my concentration?

Since the distribution requirement is meant to broaden your intellectual experience, you cannot use any courses which are part of your concentration (including cognates) or any course which is offered by your department of concentration, even if you don't need those courses for your concentration.

If you have two concentrations or more, you may use courses from one of the concentrations toward distribution. In this case, your distribution requirement would stand completely independent of one of your concentrations and its department, while some of the courses for your second concentration could also be used for distribution. You should always check with your general academic advisor if you think you qualify for this exception.

2.  Can I use AP credits toward the Distribution Requirement?

Advanced Placement credits (AP) cannot be used to meet the distribution requirement.

3.  Can I use transfer credit from another college for distribution?

It is possible for you to use transfer credit in meeting this requirement. Consult your general academic advisor about what courses can be used toward distribution and have that noted in your student file. If you are thinking of taking courses for distribution credit during the summer at a campus near your home, it is best to check with your advisor in advance regarding how the credit will transfer and how you will be able to use it.

4.  Can I take courses in the School of Music, or Art, or Architecture for distribution?

Yes, but only if those courses have been approved for distribution. The list below can guide your selection.

Note: While these courses can be used in the distribution plan, the credits marked (non-LSA) count in the 20-credit limit of non-LSA coursework.

5.  May I take courses I am using for distribution pass/fail?

Yes, you can use the pass/fail option with courses for this requirement.

6.  Can distribution courses also be used for the Race & Ethnicity, Quantitative Reasoning and the Upper-Level Writing Course?

Courses used for distribution may also, if eligible, be used to meet any of these three requirements. You should consult the approved course lists for these requirements each term and contact your general academic advisor to make sure this "double counting" will apply to your specific situation.