Frequently Asked Questions About The R&E Requirement

1.  How do I know if a course counts for R&E?

Courses used to satisfy R&E must be selected from an approved list.The courses offered each term are listed in the LSA Course Guide. 

2.  Can an R&E course also count for Distribution or my Concentration?

Yes, if the course qualifies, you may use a course for both R&E and part of your distribution requirement or for both R&E and part of your concentration.

3.  Can an R&E course also count for Composition Requirements?

Yes, if the course is also listed as satisfying First-Year Writing or the Upper-Level Writing requirement, you can have one course satisfy both.

4.  Can I use AP credit to meet the R&E requirement?

AP credit cannot be used to satisfy this requirement.

5.  Can I use transfer credit to meet the R&E requirement?

It is possible to use a course taken at another college to satisfy R&E. You must petition the Academic Standards Board and provide a course description and syllabus for consideration. The Academic Standards Board will determine if the course you took has the required course content and focus which is necessary for a course to be approved for R&E.

6.  Can I take an R&E course Pass/Fail?

Yes, as long as the course is not from your department of concentration or being used as a cognate for your concentration, it may be taken Pass/Fail.

7.  Do I have to do anything special when I register to make sure the course is counted?

No, as long as you are electing a course from that term's approved list, you do not have to do anything special when you register. The Registrar's Office will make the correct notation on your transcript when you have successfully completed the course.