- What kind of courses count for the Upper-Level Writing Requirement?
Upper-Level Writing Requirement courses are offered in many subjects and come in a variety of formats, from small seminars to large lecture and discussion classes. ULWR courses require a substantial amount of writing, feedback, and revision. Most departments provide at least one course that satisfies the Upper-Level Writing Requirement. This encourages you to take a class in your major in order to develop your writing skills within your chosen discipline.
- How do I know what classes satisfy the Upper-Level Writing Requirement?
You can find a list of approved Upper-Level Writing Requirement courses for a particular semester by selecting "upper-level writing" under "Other Requirements/Groupings" in the advanced search function of the online LSA Course Guide. A course approved to meet the requirement one term is not necessarily approved in subsequent terms.
- When can I take an Upper-Level Writing Requirement class?
Any time after completing the First-Year Writing Requirement.
- Can I take a Upper-Level Writing Requirement class pass/fail?
Yes, but you must receive a course grade of C- or better to fulfill the Upper-Level Writing Requirement.
- Do I have to do anything special when I register for an approved Upper-Level Writing Requirement course?
- What grade do I need to get in the course in order to fulfill the Upper-Level Writing Requirement?
A course grade of C- or better is required.
- What if I want to use a course to satisfy the Upper-Level Writing Requirement but it is not designated as ULWR in the Course Guide?
If you have at least 100 credits toward graduation, you may petition the Sweetland Writing Center during the first two weeks of the academic term you are taking the course to approve the course for you to use to satisfy your Upper-Level Writing Requirement.
Can I take my First-Year Writing Requirement (FYWR) and the Upper-Level Writing Requirement (ULWR) at the same time?
No. You are only eligible to complete the ULWR after you have successfully completed the FYWR.
Will you accept work from another university for the Upper-Level Writing Requirement?
No. Only work from the Ann Arbor UM campus with a UM instructor is acceptable.
Does English 225 count for my Upper-Level Writing Requirement?
English 225 does not fulfill the ULWR for LSA students.
- What grade do I need to fulfill the Upper-Level Writing Requirement?
A course grade of C- or better is required to fulfill the ULWR. Prior to Winter Term 2006, a ULWR grade of Satisfactory also was required.
- Can I take my Upper-Level Writing Requirement as pass/fail?
Yes, but you must receive a course grade of C- or better to fulfill the ULWR.
- I took a course to fulfill the Upper-Level Writing Requirement but it isn't showing up on my record. How can I correct this?
Verify that the course was an approved ULWR course during the term you selected it by performing a search using the online Course Guide. In the Search Criteria under Skill Required check Upper Level Writing (ULWR). If the course does not appear on this list, it was not an approved ULWR course and you will need to complete a course that is approved to fulfill the ULWR.
If you have any questions contact Sweetland Center for Writing at email@example.com
- I just can't fit an approved Upper-Level Writing Requirement class in my schedule. What do I do?
If you have at least 100 credits toward graduation, you may request the approval of the Sweetland Center for Writing to use an otherwise unapproved course at U-M to satisfy your Upper-Level Writing Requirement by submitting an Individual Arrangement Petition before the third week of classes.