Frequently Asked Questions About the First-Year Writing Requirement

  1. What classes satisfy the First-Year Writing Requirement?

    A list of approved courses for a particular semester can be found by going to the advanced search function in the online LSA Course Guide and selecting first-year writing under the "Other Requirements/Groupings" feature.

    Students in special sections of the College have particular elections related to their program: 

    • If you are in the Honors Program you will elect GTBOOKS 191 or designated sections of CLCIV 101.
    • If you are in the Residential College, you will elect RCCORE 100.
    • If you are in the Lloyd Hall Scholars Program you will elect LHSP 125.

  2. May I take a First-Year Writing Requirement course or Writing Practicum course pass/fail?

    Yes, you may take a First-Year Writing Requirement course pass/fail; Writing Practicum is only offered on a credit/no credit basis.

  3. Do I have to do anything special when I register to have the course count for the First-Year Writing Requirement?

    No. If you receive a course grade of C- or better you have satisfied the First-Year Writing Requirement