Graduate Application Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply to the graduate program in Asian Languages and Cultures?
Applications to the program must be submitted online through CollegeNet.

What is the application deadline?
The application deadline is December 15. All materials must be submitted electronically through CollegeNet.

Do you accept students for the Winter Term (beginning in January)?
The Department accepts students to begin in the Fall term only.  

How will I know if my application and supporting documents have reached the department?
Please check your application status via CollegeNet and ensure that all materials have been uploaded and completed before your submit your final application. Once an application is submitted, changes cannot be made.

Where should I send my supplementary materials?
All supplemental materials such as letter of recommendation, personal statement, and writing samples should be submitted via the online application. For instructions, please see the Rackham Graduate School Website. Official Transcripts must be submitted to Rackham Graduate School.

Is it possible to be accepted into your program without taking the GRE (GRE and TOEFL for non-native English speaking students)?
The Department requires the GRE (General) for native English speaking students, and GRE and TOEFL for non-native English speaking students. The Admissions Committee will be unable to consider your application unless we receive these test scores. International students may only be exempted from the TOEFL if they have received a degree from an accredited US university, or a university where English is the primary instruction medium.

What are the ETS codes for reporting my GRE scores to your department?
The school code for the University of Michigan is 1839 and the department code for Asian Languages and Cultures is 2601.

I’m taking the GRE/TOEFL in late November/December. Will my application still be considered if the scores do not reach the department by the December 15 deadline?
The Department will review all applications shortly after the December 15 deadline. An application will not be reviewed until it is complete, including GRE scores. We suggest that the GRE/TOEFL be taken before November 15 to ensure that your scores reach the department on time.

I’m interested in a master’s degree, not a Ph.D. Can I apply to the department?
The Department of Asian Languages and Cultures does not admit students wishing to complete a terminal master's degree. Students who are interested in a master's degree may find that one of the area centers is a better fit for their goals. Please visit the following sites for more information:

Center for Chinese Studies

Center for Japanese Studies

Center for South Asian Studies

Center for Southeast Asian Studies

When will decisions be made?
The Department of Asian Languages and Cultures Admissions Committee begins reviewing files shortly after the December 15 deadline. It is very important that all of your materials reach the department by this date. Decision letters are usually sent to applicants in mid- to late-February.