What is required for admission to the Michigan Astronomy graduate program?
U-M WAS RANKED IN
THE TOP 10 IN RESEARCH
QUALITY/DEPARTMENTAL IMPACT IN
THE KINNEY STUDY OF THE SCIENCE
IMPACT OF U.S. PHD — GRANTING
- A bachelor's degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and a major in physics, astronomy, or a related field. Official transcripts are required.
- General GRE and GRE physics test.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Statement of purpose and a personal statement.
- Students from non-English speaking countries are required to demonstrate proficiency in English via the TOEFL exam. Candidates for financial assistance must pass an additional U-M English proficiency test. Please see Rackham’s application instructions for non-native English speakers.
More information is available on the Astronomy and Astrophysics section of the Rackham Graduate School website.
When is the application deadline?
The Astronomy graduate program admits for the fall term only. The application deadline for Fall 2014 admission is Monday, January 6, 2014. Please note the department is closed December 24, 2013 - January 1, 2014 and will re-open January 2, 2014 at 8:30 a.m. Eastern standard time.
What support is provided to PhD students?
Students receive a monthly stipend, tuition waiver, plus health and dental coverage. The stipend for the 2012/13 academic year is $2,279/month for 12 months.
We also support student applications for prestigious national fellowships such as NSF and NASA.
More detailed information is available at:
What are the application fees?
- US students: $60
- International students: $75
If the application fee presents an extreme financial hardship, US citizens may apply to Rackham for a fee waiver on the Rackham website. Foreign applicants may contact the department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How many official copies of my transcript do you need, and where do I send them?
Have your undergraduate institution (and any graduate institutions, if applicable) send one (1) official copy of your transcript directly to the Rackham Graduate School. Photocopies are not accepted.
Where do my recommenders send their letters of recommendation?
There are several options for submitting your letters of recommendation. Click here for guidance.
What are the GRE and TOEFL codes?
- Institution Code: 1839, University of Michigan Ann Arbor
- GRE Department Code: 0801, Astronomy
- TOEFL Department Code: 0061, Astronomy
I won't have my GRE scores until after the aplication deadline. What do I do?
Simply complete the online application by the deadline, and we will add your scores to your file when they arrive.
Where can I find additional resources?
- Rackham Graduate School’s program information for Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Rackham prospective student information
- Rackham new student information
- Living at Michigan housing site
- Campus Information Center
For questions not addressed here, please email email@example.com or