Transfer Courses from Other Institutions
The Program in Biology will review classes taken at other institutions to determine equivalency to University of Michigan Biology, EEB, and MCDB courses. If an external class is determined to be equivalent to a U-M course, it can be posted to your transcript as the U-M Biology, EEB, or MCDB course (with a "T") when you successfully complete the course and the transfer steps below.
[Note: You are welcome to request review of a course before you take it. You will need to provide a detailed syllabus, so you must obtain one from the instructor in advance.]
How to Transfer a Course:
- Read the FAQ’s!
- Obtain a detailed syllabus from the instructor or institution (this can be an electronic copy, a link, or a paper copy).
A detailed syllabus includes:
- Instructor’s name,
- Term class was offered,
- Text book used, and,
- Daily account of topics covered (i.e., what you covered each time you met in class)
- Complete the Program in Biology Transfer Credit Evaluation request form.
- Once the course is complete (with a “C” or better), request that an official copy of your transcript be sent to the University of Michigan, Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Even if deemed equivalent, the UM course cannot appear on your UM transcript until an official transcript from the home institution has been received by UM Admissions.
- If the course is approved for Biology Program direct equivalency credit (i.e., a direct match with a U-M BIOLOGY, MCDB, or EEB course), it will be posted (or changed) on your transcript to indicate the specific course, with a “T” grade, and it will satisfy prerequisites or concentration requirements (as appropriate, see your advisor).