Prerequisites to Concentration:
- Math 115, 116, 215, 216
- Chem 210, 211, 215
- Physics 135 or 140, 141, 235 or 240, 241
- Bio 162 or 171 or 172
Core in Biophysics:
- Biophysics 290 (Physics of the Body & Mind)
- Biophysics 370 (Physical and Chemical Principles behind Biology and Medicine)
- Biophysics 417 (Dynamical Processes in Biophysics)
- Biophysics 454 (Macromolecular Structure and Function)
- Biophysics 450 (Biophysics Laboratory)
- Biophysics 495 (Senior Seminar in Biophysics)
- Chemistry 351 (Fundamentals of Biochemistry)
- Biology 305 (Genetics)
One of the following:
- Biophysics 430 (Medical Physics)
- Biophysics 433 (Biocomplexity)
- Biophysics 435 (Biophysical Modeling)
- Biophysics 440 (Biophysics of Diseases)
- Biophysics 463 (Mathematical Modeling in Biology)
- MCDB 411 (Protein Structure and Function)
Note: Until enough of these courses are offered, other Physics, Chemistry, or Biology courses may be accepted.
One of the following:
- Physics 406 (Statistical Mechanics and Thermodynamics)
- Chemistry 451 (Biochemistry I)
- MCDB 427 (Molecular Biology)
Our program is fairly flexible with cognates, pending faculty advisor approval. NOTE: only 400-level courses in relatable departments may count as a cognate.
At least two credits of Biophysics 399. Students wishing to conduct research in a laboratory outside of the Program must identify a co-sponsor.
In addition to completing all the Biophysics concentration requirements, a concentration GPA of at least 3.4 and the completion of an honors thesis (Biophysics 499) and a second Biophysics elective are required.
Minor in Biophysics:
- Physics 340 and 341 (Heat and Waves) or Chem 210 and 211 (Organic Chemistry)
- Bio 305 (Genetics) or Chem 451 or MCDB 310 (Biochemistry)
- Biophysics 290 (Physics of the Body & Mind) or Biophysics 430 (Medical Physics) or Biophysics 440 (Biophysics of Diseases)
- Biophysics 370 (Physical and Chemical Principles behind Biology and Medicine) or Biophysics 417 (Dynamic Processes in Biophysics)
Students minoring in Biophysics are allowed to double-count only ONE COURSE for BOTH their major and Biophysics minor. The minimum total number of credits students must take for the Biophysics minor are 15 (including the double-counted course). For more information about double-counting rules, please refer to the LSA Bulletin or speak with an advisor.
See the LSA Course Guide for further information and current course offerings.