PHIL 196 - First Year Seminar
Section: 001 Puzzles, Paradoxes and Conceptual Troubleshooting
Term: FA 2007
Subject: Philosophy (PHIL)
Department: LSA Philosophy
Credits:
3
Requirements & Distribution:
HU
Other:
FYSem
Advisory Prerequisites:
Only first-year students, including those with sophomore standing, may pre-register for First-Year Seminars. All others need permission of instructor.
Repeatability:
May not be repeated for credit.
Primary Instructor:

Philosophers seek to diagnose, and resolve, conflicts and inconsistencies in our ordinary ways of thinking and talking about things. This course will consider a number of such cases, including puzzles about the possibility of free action, weakness of will, rationality and altruism, the passage of time, knowledge and skepticism, language, logic, and ethics. (For example: It's quite central to our ordinary ways of thinking about ourselves that some of our actions are free. But this seems incompatible with our actions just being the effects of ordinary causal processes in our brains. Do we need to give up on the possibility of free action? Give up on the view that our actions are just more physical events in the world, with the usual sorts of causal histories? Or can we reconcile these two apparently incompatible parts of our ordinary picture of how things are? Another example: We ordinarily think that we know quite a lot about the way the world is – for example, I know that I have hands. But I could have all of the experiences that I actually have, even if I were a handless victim of a Matrix-like simulation. So all of my evidence is compatible with my being a handless Matrix-inhabitant. Perhaps we should give up the claim that I know that I have hands. Or perhaps we should give up the claim that, in order to know that I have hands, I need to be able to rule out the hypothesis that I'm a victim of a Matrix-like deception.)

PHIL 196 - First Year Seminar
Schedule Listing
001 (SEM)
P
27786
Closed
0
5Y1
6Enrollment Management
-
TuTh 10:00AM - 11:30AM
003 (SEM)
P
27787
Closed
0
1Y1
6Enrollment Management
-
MW 2:30PM - 4:00PM
004 (SEM)
P
25368
Closed
0
1Y1
5Enrollment Management
-
TuTh 4:00PM - 5:30PM
005 (SEM)
P
24184
Closed
0
1Y1
6Enrollment Management
-
TuTh 10:00AM - 11:30AM
NOTE: Data maintained by department in Wolverine Access. If no textbooks are listed below, check with the department.
Syllabi are available to current LSA students. IMPORTANT: These syllabi are provided to give students a general idea about the courses, as offered by LSA departments and programs in prior academic terms. The syllabi do not necessarily reflect the assignments, sequence of course materials, and/or course expectations that the faculty and departments/programs have for these same courses in the current and/or future terms.

Click the button below to view historical syllabi for PHIL 196 (UM login required)

View Historical Syllabi
The CourseProfile (ART) system, supported by the U-M Provost’s 3rd Century Initiative through a grant to the Digital Innovation Greenhouse, provides additional information about: course enrollments; academic terms and instructors; student academic profiles (school/college, majors), and previous, concurrent, and subsequent course enrollments.

CourseProfile (ART)