CHEM 126 - General Chemistry Laboratory II
Section: 200
Term: SU 2009
Subject: Chemistry (CHEM)
Department: LSA Chemistry
Course Note:
Students electing CHEM 126 MUST also elect CHEM 125. CHEM 126 is not a stand alone course.
Credits:
1
Requirements & Distribution:
BS, NS
Advisory Prerequisites:
To be elected by students who are eligible for (or enrolled in) CHEM 130, and concurrent enrollment in CHEM 125.
Other Course Info:
F, W, Sp.
BS:
This course counts toward the 60 credits of math/science required for a Bachelor of Science degree.
Repeatability:
May not be repeated for credit.
Primary Instructor:

This laboratory course can be elected with, or following, CHEM 130. It is intended that students planning to enroll in CHEM 130 who have had little or no previous chemistry laboratory enroll concurrently in CHEM 125 and CHEM 126. The focus of this guided inquiry laboratory is to foster critical thinking that allows students to design, perform and interpret experiments. In addition, the student acquires technical skills that are required for further advancement in experimental sciences. Although an ability to collect and analyze data in a quantitative manner is developed, the emphasis of the course is to provide a qualitative understanding of the basic concepts of chemistry. This is accomplished by demonstrating that chemical principles are derived from experimental data. The goal is to provide students both with a more accurate picture of the scientific process and also with skills that are relevant to solving real life problems. Much of the course work is done as a member of a team. Student groups each explore the same problem with each group using different reagents and/or conditions. A networked computer system is used to collect, pool and summarize the largely qualitative class data. Student groups address questions which require them to organize the class data using commercial graphing software. Group answers are presented in discussion. The format of the course is organized into three sections. Pre-laboratory reading and questions are completed prior to each multi-period project laboratory. A one-hour lecture provides support for the topics and problems that will be investigated in the laboratory. The second component is performance in the laboratory where team data are shared, analyzed, and evaluated. The third begins in the first hour following completion of each multi-period project lab where groups communicate their findings during a student-led discussion. There are two one-hour written examinations, scheduled for Tuesday evenings, that constitute 30% of the grade. The remaining 70% of the grade is based on the points acquired in laboratory and discussion.

TEXT: Collaborative Investigations in Chemistry, Konigsberg Kerner & Penner-Hahn, Hayden McNeil (Required).

CHEM 126 - General Chemistry Laboratory II
Schedule Listing
200 (LEC)
P
89908
Open
78
 
-
TBA
NOTE: Data maintained by department in Wolverine Access. If no textbooks are listed below, check with the department.


Note:
same text that was used for Winter 09 semester.
ISBN: 9780738031385
Collaborative Investigations in Chemistry, Author: kerner, Publisher: Hayden-McNeil
Required
Syllabi are available to current LSA students. IMPORTANT: These syllabi are provided to give students a general idea about the courses, as offered by LSA departments and programs in prior academic terms. The syllabi do not necessarily reflect the assignments, sequence of course materials, and/or course expectations that the faculty and departments/programs have for these same courses in the current and/or future terms.

Click the button below to view historical syllabi for CHEM 126 (UM login required)

View Historical Syllabi
The CourseProfile (ART) system, supported by the U-M Provost’s 3rd Century Initiative through a grant to the Digital Innovation Greenhouse, provides additional information about: course enrollments; academic terms and instructors; student academic profiles (school/college, majors), and previous, concurrent, and subsequent course enrollments.

CourseProfile (ART)