This course is an introduction to contemporary analytic philosophy of mind. Here are some of the central questions we will address:
- What is the relationship between the mind and the brain?
- What is the nature of mental states like beliefs and desires?
- What is consciousness, and how does it arise from physical brain states?
- How does the mind represent the world?
- How are beliefs (and other propositional attitudes) captured by the expressions we use to give voice to them?
The requirements for the course include unannounced quizzes, three short papers, a midterm, and a final exam.