HISTORY 110 - Medieval, Renaissance, and Reformation Europe
Spring 2010, Section 101
Instruction Mode: Section 101 is (see other Sections below)
Subject: History (HISTORY)
Department: LSA History
See additional student enrollment and course instructor information to guide you in your decision making.

Details

Credits:
3
Requirements & Distribution:
SS
Repeatability:
May not be repeated for credit.
Primary Instructor:

Description

This course discusses aspects of European history between the late Roman era and the eighteenth century. It is more topical than chronological, and I use original images and original sources in the classroom. I emphasize analysis over memorization. We do a lot of discussion of both sources and images (autobiographies, travel accounts, trial records, art, architecture, doodles). We begin with the rise of Christianity and Islam, and we will end with Galileo, Newton, and the European takeoff. I don't cover everything, but I try to offer a sampling of different sorts of topics; and I am always open to suggestions that reflect student interest. I am particularly interested in pointing out ways in which something that seems foreign has in fact become part of our everyday life.

Grading comes from participation in class, a midterm exam, and a final. There are also opportunities for extra credit projects.

Schedule

Schedule Listing
101 (LEC)
 In Person
56079
Open
40

-
TuWTh 3:00PM - 5:00PM

Textbooks/Other Materials

The partner U-M / Barnes & Noble Education textbook website is the official way for U-M students to view their upcoming textbook or course material needs, whether they choose to buy from Barnes & Noble Education or not. Students also can view a customized list of their specific textbook needs by clicking a "View/Buy Textbooks" link in their course schedule in Wolverine Access.

Click the button below to view and buy textbooks for HISTORY 110.101

View/Buy Textbooks

Syllabi

Syllabi are available to current LSA students. IMPORTANT: These syllabi are provided to give students a general idea about the courses, as offered by LSA departments and programs in prior academic terms. The syllabi do not necessarily reflect the assignments, sequence of course materials, and/or course expectations that the faculty and departments/programs have for these same courses in the current and/or future terms.

No Syllabi are on file for HISTORY 110. Click the button below to search for a different syllabus (UM login required)

Search for Syllabus

CourseProfile (Atlas)

The Atlas system, developed by the Center for Academic Innovation, provides additional information about: course enrollments; academic terms and instructors; student academic profiles (school/college, majors), and previous, concurrent, and subsequent course enrollments.

CourseProfile (Atlas)