MEMS 110 - Medieval, Renaissance, and Reformation Europe
Section: 101
Term: SP 2010
Subject: Medieval and Early Modern Studies (MEMS)
Department: LSA History
Credits:
3
Requirements & Distribution:
SS
Repeatability:
May not be repeated for credit.
Primary Instructor:

This course discusses aspects of European history between the late Roman era and the eighteenth century. It is more topical than chronological, and I use original images and original sources in the classroom. I emphasize analysis over memorization. We do a lot of discussion of both sources and images (autobiographies, travel accounts, trial records, art, architecture, doodles). We begin with the rise of Christianity and Islam, and we will end with Galileo, Newton, and the European takeoff. I don't cover everything, but I try to offer a sampling of different sorts of topics; and I am always open to suggestions that reflect student interest. I am particularly interested in pointing out ways in which something that seems foreign has in fact become part of our everyday life.

Grading comes from participation in class, a midterm exam, and a final. There are also opportunities for extra credit projects.

Schedule Listing
101 (LEC)
P
56082
Open
40

-
TuWTh 3:00PM - 5:00PM
NOTE: Data maintained by department in Wolverine Access. If no textbooks are listed below, check with the department.
Syllabi are available to current LSA students. IMPORTANT: These syllabi are provided to give students a general idea about the courses, as offered by LSA departments and programs in prior academic terms. The syllabi do not necessarily reflect the assignments, sequence of course materials, and/or course expectations that the faculty and departments/programs have for these same courses in the current and/or future terms.

No Syllabi are on file for MEMS 110. Click the button below to search for a different syllabus (UM login required)

Search for Syllabus
The CourseProfile (ART) system, supported by the U-M Provost’s 3rd Century Initiative through a grant to the Digital Innovation Greenhouse, provides additional information about: course enrollments; academic terms and instructors; student academic profiles (school/college, majors), and previous, concurrent, and subsequent course enrollments.

CourseProfile (ART)