This course is an introduction to cognitive science, with special attention to how linguistics, philosophy, and psychology have contributed to the study of communication.
We will examine topics such as the following:
- What disciplines contribute to the study of language and communication?
- What evidence and methods do they use?
- What models and theories do they propose?
- What is the role of context in communication.
- How are conversations structured, and how does the structure of a conversation contribute to understanding what has been communicated?
Requirements for this course will include regular exercises, two short papers, and one final examination.