AAPTIS 342 - History of the Ottoman Empire: The "Post-Classical Age", (ca. 1600-1922)
Section: 001
Term: WN 2014
Subject: Arabic, Armenian, Persian, Turkish, and Islamic Studies (AAPTIS)
Department: LSA Near Eastern Studies
Requirements & Distribution:
Waitlist Capacity:
Enforced Prerequisites:
Not available to students who have completed AAPTIS 291 (#17) or HISTORY 303 (# 13) when taught with the topic "The Ottoman Empire in the 'Post Classical Age'".
May not be repeated for credit.
Primary Instructor:

This class is part of a three-course cycle in the Near Eastern Studies and History Departments and is intended to provide students with a systematic and consecutive survey of the political and social history of the Ottoman Empire and the Turkish Republic. Chronologically the second course in that cycle, it focuses on the later part of Ottoman history (ca. 1600-1922). The three courses are offered as a sequential unit, but can also be taken on their own. The current course will provide a bridge between the early Ottoman history course in the NES department and the modern Turkish history course in the History department. It will also complement courses on Ottoman cultural and intellectual history taught in the NES department.

As a survey of the last three centuries of the history of the Ottoman Empire, this course covers political, social, religious, legal, as well as institutional topics and analyzes them in their proper historical context. Students will be exposed to a variety of primary sources and secondary literature and learn to approach them analytically. They will also engage in both research and writing about humanistic themes pertaining to Ottoman history. This course emphasizes critical writing and discussion and challenges the students to apply the insights of the class to related issues in their studies of other states and societies in various historical periods.

Commencing with an overview of the Ottoman ‘Classical Age” (ca. 1300-1600), this course will trace the history of the Ottoman Empire from its grandeur under Süleyman “the Magnificent” to its collapse in the first quarter of the 20th century, touching upon different themes such as:

  • crisis and the notion of decline in the sixteenth century;
  • Ottomans’ struggle to maintain “superpower” status up to the end of the 18th century;
  • changes in land tenure and military institutions;
  • the Ottoman economy &/vs. “world economy”;
  • social fabric, family life, gender relations;
  • social unrest & religious movements;
  • “constitutional” struggles;
  • decentralization and the Porte’s response;
  • Ottoman response to the new world order (Tanzimat);
  • reform and disintegration;
  • the transformation towards nation-states and national cultures

Course Requirements:

Attendance and participation (20%), Two Reading Analyses/Writing Assignments (3-4 pages each, 20%), Midterm (combination of short questions and essays, 20%), Term Paper with revisions (12-15 pages, 40%).

Intended Audience:

Undergraduate students interested in the political and the social history of the Turkish people in general and that of the Ottoman Empire in particular. Especially interested may be concentrators in NES and History.

Class Format:

Twice weekly lectures, each 1.5 hours in length. No GSI involvement.

AAPTIS 342 - History of the Ottoman Empire: The "Post-Classical Age", (ca. 1600-1922)
Schedule Listing
001 (LEC)
MW 2:30PM - 4:00PM
NOTE: Data maintained by department in Wolverine Access. If no textbooks are listed below, check with the department.
Syllabi are available to current LSA students. IMPORTANT: These syllabi are provided to give students a general idea about the courses, as offered by LSA departments and programs in prior academic terms. The syllabi do not necessarily reflect the assignments, sequence of course materials, and/or course expectations that the faculty and departments/programs have for these same courses in the current and/or future terms.

Click the button below to view historical syllabi for AAPTIS 342 (UM login required)

View Historical Syllabi
The CourseProfile (ART) system, supported by the U-M Provost’s 3rd Century Initiative through a grant to the Digital Innovation Greenhouse, provides additional information about: course enrollments; academic terms and instructors; student academic profiles (school/college, majors), and previous, concurrent, and subsequent course enrollments.

CourseProfile (ART)