This course will focus on moral responsibility and blame.
- What is responsibility?
- What kinds of beings can be responsible?
- Does responsibility require freedom? If so, what is the relevant sense of freedom?
- Can we be free in this way even if determinism is true?
- What is the relationship between responsibility and control?
- What is blame?
- Does blame contribute to our moral lives or would we be better off without it?
We will consider these and related questions in this discussion-based course.
Students will be assessed on the basis of one term paper (or two shorter papers), a presentation, and active participation in discussions.
At least one previous class in philosophical ethics is required.
No data submitted