This course will compare medicine in ancient China, particularly acupuncture, with medicine found in ancient Greece and Rome. We will look at figures, such as Chinese physician Chunyu Yi, as well as Greek and Roman physicians, such as Hippocrates and Galen.
Our main themes will include:
- How was medicine defined in the ancient world?
- To what extent was its practice similar or different from modern professional forms?
- Was medicine a craft or a science?
- Did ancient physician dissect?
- What relationship existed between medicine and religion or magic?
- How do we explain differences between the Western and Chinese medical traditions?
All reading assignments will be posted on CTools, and so there are no texts that need to be purchased.
- Two group presentations (10 minutes) on the reading assignments, preferably in PPT [20% of your grade]
- 1-page responses each week on the reading questions [10% of your grade]
- Two 7-10 page papers [60% of your grade]
- Active participation and attendance [10% of your grade]
No prior knowledge of Chinese or classical languages are required. All are welcome.
No data submitted