This course introduces students to the concepts and practices of health informatics. Topics include:
- an introduction to the health informatics field
- major applications and commercial vendors
- decision support methods and technologies
- analysis, design, implementation, and evaluation of healthcare information systems
- new opportunities and emerging trends.
A semester-long group project provides students with hands-on experience in planning and building healthcare information systems; associated ethical and legal topics, software engineering and human-computer interaction issues, and user adoption and outcome evaluation methodologies will also be addressed.