ENGLISH 695 - Pedagogy: Theory and Practice
Section: 001 The Practice of Pedagogy
Term: FA 2018
Subject: English Language and Literature (ENGLISH)
Department: LSA English Language & Literature
With permission of department.
Advisory Prerequisites:
Graduate standing in English, Women's Studies, or English and Education Program. This course is required of all 2nd year Language & Literature and English & Women's Studies Graduate students. Permission of instructor.
Other Course Info:
Limited to 2nd year PhD English and English & WS students.
May not be repeated for credit.
Primary Instructor:

This course is designed to be useful, thought-provoking, anxiety-abating, and enjoyable for everyone teaching our first-year writing course (English 125). It’s also intended to serve as a weekly occasion for assembling everyone in their second year in the PhD program in English language and literature as well as students in the Women’s Studies program who are in their third year and teaching 125. I’d like for this class to serve as a cohort-gathering point (we’ll not always meet in the classroom) and as a place to think together about the work-life balance issues that become newly and particularly pressing when teaching is added to the mix of what are already the full-time jobs of reading, writing, doing research, and having at least something of a life outside the academy.

The structure of the course is designed to correspond closely to the shape of the term itself, so that you will not be doing busy-work or wondering how an assignment for 695 might someday actually be usable but, instead, be getting into whatever it is you’ll be taking up in class in any given week, with the advice and ideas and support of me and of your peers.

There will be something of a change in the place of this course in our curriculum in the fall of 2018 (a changed prompted largely by suggestions from graduate students over the past couple of years): In addition to taking 695, students will also be set up in sections of English 993 (the mentor / teaching circle course). 695 will continue to be a three-credit course; but 993 will count for one of those three credits.

I’ll consider it part of my job to make resources clearly and easily available to everyone—resources that you may or may not utilize in the heat of the term itself but that, I hope, you’ll find useful whenever you’re ready to turn to them—and also to make sure that we cover matters arising from your own classroom experiences. These will probably include (but aren’t limited to) facilitating discussions; working with student writing; evaluating, commenting on, and grading papers; making and using quizzes and exams; running writing workshops (small-group and whole-class); lectures (short and long); using technology in the classroom; holding office hours; starting (or continuing) to assemble teaching portfolios and to write teaching statements. Toward the end of the course, we’ll work on course planning and syllabus design.

I will make a visit to each of your classrooms so that I can see you at work (and we’ll talk afterwards about those visits). You will also observe each other teach a class sometime during the term (and will be welcome and encouraged to visit my own undergraduate class in the winter term as well as others being taught in our department in the fall semester). I’ll be posting syllabi from colleagues who also welcome visitors.

We will also have colleagues visiting us throughout the term to present on different pedagogical subjects; those visits and the Q&A that follows the visitors’ presentations are an aspect of this class that I always particularly enjoy. I look forward to meeting with all of you each week as we undertake what is, I continue to believe (after more than 30 years of doing it) important, difficult, fun, and deeply rewarding work.

Schedule Listing
001 (SEM)
Tu 4:00PM - 7:00PM
NOTE: Data maintained by department in Wolverine Access. If no textbooks are listed below, check with the department.
Syllabi are available to current LSA students. IMPORTANT: These syllabi are provided to give students a general idea about the courses, as offered by LSA departments and programs in prior academic terms. The syllabi do not necessarily reflect the assignments, sequence of course materials, and/or course expectations that the faculty and departments/programs have for these same courses in the current and/or future terms.

Click the button below to view historical syllabi for ENGLISH 695 (UM login required)

View Historical Syllabi
The CourseProfile (ART) system, supported by the U-M Provost’s 3rd Century Initiative through a grant to the Digital Innovation Greenhouse, provides additional information about: course enrollments; academic terms and instructors; student academic profiles (school/college, majors), and previous, concurrent, and subsequent course enrollments.

CourseProfile (ART)