THEORY 560 - Special Studies
Section: 001 Intensity, Continuity, Pacing
Term: FA 2018
Subject: Music Theory (THEORY)
Department: Music School
Credits:
3
Consent:
With permission of instructor.
Enforced Prerequisites:
THEORY 240 and 250.
Repeatability:
May be repeated for credit.
Undergrad and Grad
Meet Together Classes:
Primary Instructor:

"Intensity, continuity, pacing" capture, for me, some of the ways that music creates drama and action. Pacing is speed or slowness, staying in the current moment, rushing ahead, drawing things out. Intensity can be as simple as loudness or softness or as complex as how strongly some music draws us into it. How a piece or passage "hangs together" is its continuity: a passage can move smoothly or abruptly to a succeeding passage; it can seem to contrast to a greater or lesser degree. If the terms I've chosen seem abstract, as they do to me, it is perhaps because they allude to qualities of sound that happen as time passes - qualities that can't be pinned down. The course will center on listening and performance oriented analysis. I hope students will bring a wide spectrum of specializations, interests and backgrounds to work with music that might range from the Renaissance through the twenty-first century.

THEORY 560 - Special Studies
Schedule Listing
001 (LEC)
P
30995
Open
2

-
TuTh 11:30AM - 1:00PM
Note: "Intensity, continuity, pacing" capture, for me, some of the ways that music creates drama and action. Pacing is speed or slowness, staying in the current moment, rushing ahead, drawing things out. Intensity can be as simple as loudness or softness or as complex as how strongly some music draws us into it. How a piece or passage "hangs together" is its continuity: a passage can move smoothly or abruptly to a succeeding passage; it can seem to contrast to a greater or lesser degree. If the terms I've chosen seem abstract, as they do to me, it is perhaps because they allude to qualities of sound that happen as time passes - qualities that can't be pinned down. The course will center on listening and performance oriented analysis. I hope students will bring a wide spectrum of specializations, interests and backgrounds to work with music that might range from the Renaissance through the twenty-first century.
NOTE: Data maintained by department in Wolverine Access. If no textbooks are listed below, check with the department.
Syllabi are available to current LSA students. IMPORTANT: These syllabi are provided to give students a general idea about the courses, as offered by LSA departments and programs in prior academic terms. The syllabi do not necessarily reflect the assignments, sequence of course materials, and/or course expectations that the faculty and departments/programs have for these same courses in the current and/or future terms.

No Syllabi are on file for THEORY 560. Click the button below to search for a different syllabus (UM login required)

Search for Syllabus
The CourseProfile (ART) system, supported by the U-M Provost’s 3rd Century Initiative through a grant to the Office of Academic Innovation, provides additional information about: course enrollments; academic terms and instructors; student academic profiles (school/college, majors), and previous, concurrent, and subsequent course enrollments.

CourseProfile (ART)