EARTH 130 - The Physical World
Fall 2020, Section 001
Instruction Mode: Section 001 is  Online (see other Sections below)
Subject: Earth and Environmental Sciences (EARTH)
Department: LSA Earth & Environmental Sciences
See additional student enrollment and course instructor information to guide you in your decision making.

Details

Course Note:
This course requires access to the McGraw Hill edition materials. There are two options: Buying the book at the bookstore which includes the access card to CONNECT and a loose leaf copy of the text (90$). Otherwise, the students can purchase access CONNECT for $70. The latter includes an online version of the book.

Bookstore option: KRAUSKOPF PHYISICAL UNIVERSE CONNECT Access Card and Loose Leaf Textbook 17e NEW ISBN: 9781265982010"

.
Credits:
4
Requirements & Distribution:
BS, NS, QR/2
Consent:
With permission of instructor.
Advisory Prerequisites:
High-school algebra.
BS:
This course counts toward the 60 credits of math/science required for a Bachelor of Science degree.
Repeatability:
May not be repeated for credit.
Primary Instructor:

Description

The physics, chemistry, and pre-calculus (algebraic) concepts of comprehensive Earth and planetary science will be covered for those students who feel less than fully prepared for existing college-level science classes. The course is aimed at students in need of a science course, particularly those who will not readily select more than one physical science course as undergraduates at UM. Weekly discussions by a GSI will complement and amplify the lectures. Extensive weekly homework (quantitative exercises) will form 40% of the grade, with the remaining 60% based on two in-class exams and one final exam. Textbook: K.B. Krauskopf and A. Beiser, The Physical Universe, McGraw Hill, 10th ed. 2003.

Course Requirements:

Fall 2020 Lecture: Two written exams will be accessible through a link on Canvas, will be open book and available during 120 minutes only. These two exams will mostly consist of structured questions and short-answer questions. The student will have to upload his/her answers during the two-hours time frame (i.e. scanned documents). In addition, two other online 90-minutes exams will be held during the semester. These exams will be held on CONNECT (same as for weekly quizzes), which is accessible through Canvas. It will consist of 90 multiple choice questions.

Class Format:

Fall 2020: Lectures will be online and asynchronous. Recorded lectures can be viewed online any time.

Fall 2020: Labs are online and synchronous. Students must attend the at a specific day/time, synchronous but recorded so that students can see the recordings later.

Schedule

EARTH 130 - The Physical World
Schedule Listing
001 (LEC)
 Online
35853
Closed
0
 
-
TBA
002 (REC)
 Online
35854
Closed
0
 
-
W 4:00PM - 5:00PM
003 (REC)
 Online
35855
Closed
0
 
-
F 1:00PM - 2:00PM

Textbooks/Other Materials

The partner U-M / Barnes & Noble Education textbook website is the official way for U-M students to view their upcoming textbook or course material needs, whether they choose to buy from Barnes & Noble Education or not. Students also can view a customized list of their specific textbook needs by clicking a "View/Buy Textbooks" link in their course schedule in Wolverine Access.

Click the button below to view and buy textbooks for EARTH 130.001

View/Buy Textbooks

Syllabi

Syllabi are available to current LSA students. IMPORTANT: These syllabi are provided to give students a general idea about the courses, as offered by LSA departments and programs in prior academic terms. The syllabi do not necessarily reflect the assignments, sequence of course materials, and/or course expectations that the faculty and departments/programs have for these same courses in the current and/or future terms.

No Syllabi are on file for EARTH 130. Click the button below to search for a different syllabus (UM login required)

Search for Syllabus

CourseProfile (Atlas)

The Atlas system, developed by the Center for Academic Innovation, provides additional information about: course enrollments; academic terms and instructors; student academic profiles (school/college, majors), and previous, concurrent, and subsequent course enrollments.

CourseProfile (Atlas)