ENGLISH 695 - Pedagogy: Theory and Practice
Fall 2021, Section 001
Instruction Mode: Section 001 is  In Person (see other Sections below)
Subject: English Language and Literature (ENGLISH)
Department: LSA English Language & Literature
See additional student enrollment and course instructor information to guide you in your decision making.

Details

Credits:
3
Waitlist Capacity:
unlimited
Consent:
With permission of department.
Advisory Prerequisites:
Graduate standing in English, Women's Studies, or English and Education Program. This course is required of all 2nd year Language & Literature and English & Women's Studies Graduate students. Permission of instructor.
Other Course Info:
Limited to 2nd year PhD English and English & WS students.
Repeatability:
May not be repeated for credit.
Primary Instructor:

Description

This course is designed to be useful, thought-provoking, anxiety-abating, and enjoyable for everyone teaching English 125 this year. And though our discussions will focus around the writing-intensive courses you’re teaching and will continue to teach for the English Department Writing Program, we will also spend some time talking about the teaching of literature and theory in your own future courses as well as how to navigate the challenges particular to working as Writing Fellows or leading discussion sections in larger lecture courses, for those of you who’ll end up in those positions.

It’s also intended to serve as a weekly occasion for assembling everyone in their second year in the Ph.D. program in English language and literature and their third year in the Women’s Studies program. I’d like for this class to be a cohort-gathering point and to be a place to think together about the work-life balance issues that become newly and particularly pressing when teaching is added to the mix of what are already the full-time jobs of reading, writing, doing research, and having at least something of a life outside the academy. How and where we gather will, I imagine, still be constrained to a greater or, I hope, lesser extent by the pandemic and its after-effects.

The structure of the course is designed to correspond closely to the shape of the term itself, so that you will not be doing busy-work or wondering how an assignment for 695 might someday actually be usable but, instead, be getting into whatever it is you’ll be taking up in class in any given week, with the advice and ideas and support of me and of your peers.

I’ll consider it part of my job to make resources clearly and easily available to everyone—resources that you may or may not utilize in the heat of the term itself but that, I hope, you’ll find useful whenever you’re ready to turn to them—and also to make sure that we cover matters arising from your own classroom experiences. These will probably include (but aren’t limited to) facilitating discussions; working with student writing; evaluating, commenting on, and grading papers; making and using quizzes and exams; running writing workshops (small-group and whole-class); lectures (short and long); using technology in the classroom; holding office hours; starting (or continuing) to assemble teaching portfolios and to write teaching statements. Toward the end of the course, we’ll work on course planning and syllabus design.

I will make a visit to each of your classrooms so that I can see you at work (and we’ll talk afterward about those visits). You will also observe each other teach a class sometime during the term (and will be welcome and encouraged to visit my own undergraduate class in the winter term as well as others being taught in our department in the fall semester). I’ll be posting my syllabi and those from colleagues who also welcome visitors. We will also have colleagues visiting us throughout the term to present on different pedagogical subjects—an aspect of this class that I always particularly look forward to. I look forward to meeting with all of you each week as we undertake what is, I continue to believe (after more than three decades of doing it) important, difficult, fun, and deeply rewarding work.

Schedule

Schedule Listing
001 (SEM)
 In Person
11220
Open
7

-
F 12:00PM - 3:00PM

Textbooks/Other Materials

The partner U-M / Barnes & Noble Education textbook website is the official way for U-M students to view their upcoming textbook or course material needs, whether they choose to buy from Barnes & Noble Education or not. Students also can view a customized list of their specific textbook needs by clicking a "View/Buy Textbooks" link in their course schedule in Wolverine Access.

Click the button below to view and buy textbooks for ENGLISH 695.001

View/Buy Textbooks

Syllabi

Syllabi are available to current LSA students. IMPORTANT: These syllabi are provided to give students a general idea about the courses, as offered by LSA departments and programs in prior academic terms. The syllabi do not necessarily reflect the assignments, sequence of course materials, and/or course expectations that the faculty and departments/programs have for these same courses in the current and/or future terms.

Click the button below to view historical syllabi for ENGLISH 695 (UM login required)

View Historical Syllabi

CourseProfile (Atlas)

The Atlas system, developed by the Center for Academic Innovation, provides additional information about: course enrollments; academic terms and instructors; student academic profiles (school/college, majors), and previous, concurrent, and subsequent course enrollments.

CourseProfile (Atlas)