CGIS offers over 70 programs in over 30 countries, from short-term summer service learning to traditional year-long study abroad, for undergraduate students throughout the University of Michigan.
Make sure to check out our Program Overview for more details!
We also handle incoming applications from exchange students around the world and provide resources and support for their time at Michigan.
Student Employment Opportunities
The Center for Global and Intercultural Study is seeking students to serve as program assistants for its study abroad programs. Note: These positions are temp-hourly. Hours per week range from approximately 20-35.
Program Assistants work at various program sites under the supervision of a faculty director or instructor, serving as a liaison between faculty, on-site program staff, and students.
Responsibilities of the position include:
- Assistance in planning class-related activities.
- Participation in pre-program orientation program.
- Availability on a regular basis to students in the program to provide assistance and guidance to them during the time the program is in session.
- Residence in the housing where program participants are housed.
- Participation in all program events.
- Attendance at required pre-program trainings.
- Facilitation of onsite program orientation.
- Assistance to students in case of emergency.
Candidates must be fluent in the language of the host country, and preference will be given to applicants who have participated in a global study program or worked with U.S. undergraduates abroad. Bachelor’s degree is strongly preferred.
- Hourly wage of $8.50/hour.
- Round-trip coach airfare and related ground transportation Detroit to the program site.
- Program-provided housing.
- Reimbursement to defray the cost of some meals (depending on location).
- HTH insurance coverage for the duration of the program.
Positions are available for the following programs:
Spring Term (Approximately May – June):
- Spring Language (French 230) in Grenoble, France
- Spring Language (Italian 230) in Ferrara, Italy
- Spring Language (Spanish 230) in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Spring Language (Spanish 230) in Granada, Spain
- Spanish Language, Literature and Culture in Santiago de Compostela
- Spring Language (Spanish 230) in San Jose, Costa Rica
- Contemporary London in London, United Kingdom
- Spring Language (Asian Language 203) in Nanjing, China
Summer Term (Approximately July – August)
- French and Francophone Studies in Grenoble, France
- Italian Studies in Rome, Italy
- Arts in Paris in Paris, France
- Spanish Language, Literature and Culture in Salamanca, Spain
Candidates may apply to multiple positions. In order to apply, candidates are asked to submit a cover letter specifying what program/location(s) they are applying to and a resume via a single document. Applications should be submitted via email by January 10, 2014 to:
The Center for Global and Intercultural Study
Attn: Nita Fisher
Please direct all inquiries and applications via email.
If you are a faculty member who would like to lead a course abroad, we have several options available - just check out our Faculty Resources page for up-to-date information!