Michael McOsker

add contact to address book

PhD in Classical Studies

435 S State St, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1003

mmcosker@umich.edu

• About

My interests are primarily in Epicurean philosophy and the relationships between ancient poetry and poetics, as well as archaic and Hellenistic poetry. My dissertation is a study of Philodemus' On Poems and the connection between it and his own epigrams. I became interested in the topic partly because of the obscurity of the topic and the fact that in Philodemus we have a poet/philosopher discussing poetry (Aristotle too was a poet), but mostly because no one has done the work before and the gap in the scholarly record cried out for supplement. Other interests are in papyrology, textual criticism, lyric and other short form poetry, the grand struggle between poets and philosophers, and fragmentary texts. I'm also working on a 14th or 15th century manuscript of Aristotle's Poetics conserved at the Bibliotheque Nationale de France, with an eye towards eventual revision of its textual tradition. I graduated with a B.A. in Classics from Ohio Wesleyan University and like my atoms swerving and my hedonism ethical.