Masters Degree Program

The Department offers Masters of Arts degree programs in Greek and Latin, and a Master of Arts in Latin with Teaching Certification. The MAT in Latin is intended for the preparation of secondary school teachers. The MAs in Latin and Greek serve primarily as supplementary degree programs for students pursuing Ph.D. degrees in related disciplines.

Requirements for Admission

Apart from the Latin MAT, these programs are normally open only to students enrolled in graduate programs at the University of Michigan. All prospective applicants should confer with a representative of the Department before applying. Applicants for the MA in Greek should have completed two years of classical Greek at the college level. Applicants for either the MA programs in Latin should have completed three years of college Latin (two years if the language was begun in high school).

General Descriptions

Michigan's Department of Classical Studies has roots that reach back to the founding of the Ann Arbor campus in 1841. During the twentieth century, it emerged as one of the outstanding classics departments in the United States, and it has preserved this reputation particularly in the area of graduate education. The Department is known for the quality and breadth of the training that it offers not only in traditional areas of language and literature, but also in related and comparative disciplines.

The Department offers four degree programs:

  • Ph.D. in Classical Studies
  • MA in Latin with Teaching Certification
  • MA in Latin
  • MA in Greek

However, the Department does not normally admit applicants from outside the University of Michigan to the MAs in Latin or Greek programs; they serve primarily Ph.D. students in related departments. These programs do not prepare students for or guarantee admission to the Ph.D. program.

Degree Requirements

MA IN GREEK -- 24 credit hours

  • At least 12 credit hours must be in courses in Greek
  • 6-8 credit hours may be in courses in Latin
  • At least 4 (up to 6) credit hours must be in approved cognate courses
  • A sight translation examination in Greek

MA IN LATIN -- 24 credit hours

  • At least 12 credit hours must be in courses in Latin
  • 6-8 credit hours may be in courses in Greek
  • At least 4 (up to 6) credit hours must be in approved cognate courses
  • A sight translation examination in Latin

For cognate work for the MA in Greek or Latin, the following fields are especially recommended: Greek or Latin language and literature, ancient history, Greek or Roman archaeology, ancient philosophy, classical linguistics


  • At least 24 credit hours in Latin, classical Greek and classical archaeology or classical civilization, as below:
    • Latin: 4 graduate level courses (excluding 502-505)
    • Greek: either:
      • The introductory sequence (101, 102, 301) or
      • Two 300 or 400 level courses, or
      • One graduate level course (excluding 502, 503, and 507)
    • Classical Archaeology / Classical Civilization: one course in classical archaeology or classical civilization, or one seminar (800-level course) in Latin
    • If additional course are needed to fulfill the 24 credit hour requirement, they should be chosen from the Department's course offerings with the approval of the Director of Graduate Studies.
  • A course in linguistics
  • A sight translation examination in Latin
  • The following professional education courses:
    • ED 304: Seminar: Problems and Principles of Secondary Education
    • ED 402: Reading and Writing in the Content Area
    • ED 421: The Teaching of Latin
    • ED 606: Developmental and Psychological Perspectives in Education
    • ED 649: Foundational Perspectives on Educational Reform
    • ED 650: Directed Teaching in the Secondary School (12 credit hours)
    • ED 657: Practicum in Educational Studies

Financial Assistance

The Department offers some fellowship assistance to students in the Latin teaching certificate program, and Latin graduate student instructorships may be available. Applicants are also encouraged to contact the Office of Financial Aid for information on student loans and work/study. Any student who receives a work/study award can be assured of a job within the Department as a research assistant, grader, etc. In addition, the Graduate Funding Office has information on other forms of fellowship aid.