This is the alternative solution that addresses the need for content to be hidden from the navigation and display (i.e. not appear anywhere on the site, in a region config, etc.) yet still publish.
- This solution offers limited functionality as compared to the robust functionality available in channels.
- This primarily addresses the desire to have hidden channels.
- The friendly URLs automatically generated by the CMS should cover other concerns.
- Create an article (content item) in the desired project folder. (This could be done any number of ways, but if it is created through the region configurator, it will have to be removed from the region configurator prior to completing the remaining steps.)
- Manually associate the article to the desired channel, which will create a friendly URL.
- Make a note of what the published URL will be; include an "_ci" because it is a content item; for example, "http://lsa.umich.edu/sitename/channelname/hiddenarticletitle_ci."
- Publish the article via the AppConsole or MyPage interface.
- Reference the URL from step 3 as necessary.