Alumni & Friends

Christine Heath, Managing Supervisor of Reputation Management, Fleishman-Hillard

“University of Michigan Communication Studies prepared me to work for one of the world’s largest communications firms. I am grateful to all my professors who prepared me to succeed in this field.”

Colleen McClain, Survey Manager, Survey Sciences Group, LLC

"Being part of the Department of Communication Studies was the highlight of my undergraduate experience. Everything that I learned prepared me tremendously for my career."

Andy Stabile, Television Agent, Creative Artists Agency

“Communication Studies provided me with the tangible skills that I needed to get my career going quickly, the confidence to dream big, and relationships with people who’ve helped me along the way.”

Marissa Ventimiglia, Account Director, AOL

"Throughthe highs and lows, struggles and triumphs, The University of Michigan gave memore than a degree; it gave me the tenacity I needed to succeed and excel inthe business world."

Bridget Wanczyk, Entertainment Marketing Manager, General Motors

“My educational experience at the University of Michigan was the catalyst for shaping a career that opened my eyes, expanded my horizons and enriched me both personally and professionally.”

Chaz Cox: alumni image

"Communications Studies grooms its students to become the leaders and best in the consistently changing world of mass media; its approach has given me the analytical skills and perspective necessary to succeed."

• null
  • null
  • null
  • null

Dear Alumni and Friends,

I joined the University of Michigan in 1996, and what struck me as one of the university’s most inspiring features is the loyalty that alumni feel toward the university and their dedication to reaching out to currently enrolled students and recent graduates to help them make the transition from college to work. Communication Studies graduates find alumni contacts and networks of support all over the country, and this makes a huge difference to them as they seek to find their way in the world. Dedicated alumni have endowed the department with scholarships, prizes and internship grants that enable the achievements of our hard-working, talented students. Many alumni contribute to our Strategic Fund and our Fund for Academic Excellence some have even endowed named professorships that have enable us to hire faculty in cutting-edge fields. All of our alumni—from Communication Studies, Communication, Speech Communication and Theatre, Speech and Journalism—matter to us and our students.

To help strengthen these ties between alumni and current students, we have instituted the Alumni Connection and the Entertainment Media Career Forum, both of which bring alumni back to campus to advise current students about job hunting and careers in the field.

I can’t begin to tell you how grateful our students are for these opportunities to connect with and learn from alumni, and how appreciative they are when a gift makes it possible for them to do an unpaid internship or to receive a scholarship. If you are interested in participating in either of these events, please contact us at lsa-comm-events@umich.edu. To explore giving opportunities, click here.

Go Blue!  

Susan Douglas, Chair
Department of Communication Studies