UM’s Camp Davis Rocky Mountain Field Station Renovations:
In an ongoing effort to maintain the Camp Davis Rocky Mountain Field Station and improve it to better support our academic mission, the Earth & Environmental Sciences Department in conjunction with the LS&A Facilities Team and the UM Facilities and Operations is working on the first phase of a major capital improvement project. In recent years Camp Davis has experienced dramatic growth in both course offerings and student enrollments. The aging Camp infrastructure is no longer able to support the increased use. To support this positive growth, demolition and construction will begin this December on new and greatly improved utility systems and student and faculty housing.
This website will provide general information related to the ongoing renovation project. Our goal is to familiarize Alumni, Faculty, Students and Staff with these new and exciting endeavors as they unfold.
- Current demolition of the East Housing Wing is set to begin in December 2008. Removal of cabins, electrical systems, propane lines, water lines and sewer lines will be completed by the end of December. Completed
- Excavation of new construction area will likely begin in early January with the trenching for new electric, drinking water and sewer lines. In addition, earthwork for cabin foundations will begin. Crawlspace foundations will then be poured and cured for each new cabin. Completed
- Installation of water lines, underground electrical conduit and sewer lines will continue into the Spring. Construction of individual cabins (the number of cabins completed this spring will depend on fundraising) on the foundations is expected to be completed by June 2009. Completed
Statistics and Specifications:
- Square Footage: 3264 gross square feet (entire est housing wing)
- Funding Required for Phase I: $1.5 million
- College Funding available: $0.75 million
- Goal for Phase I fundraising: $0.75 million
- Expected Completion: Spring, 2009; Grand Opening celebration at Alumni Reunion August 2009
Photo & Video Gallery:
For generations, the Camp Davis program has inspired and educated thousands of students in Geology, Environmental Science and Engineering. Over the years and through the generosity of many alumni, we have made substantial additions to the facility, and these improvements continue today. The new Camp Davis Renovations Fund is a unique opportunity for alumni and friends to help support and continue the educational mission and facility improvements for generations to come.
Simply click the button below and you’ll be taken to a secure website where giving is convenient, quick, and easy. Please be sure to select LS&A, key word Camp Davis Renovations Fund in the field provided.
Special naming opportunities:
Camp Davis can offer to donors a range of special naming opportunities. Some of the cabins that will be constructed in Phase I have already been named for memorable faculty mentors, former Camp Davis students, and family members of loyal alumni. Click here for more information.