Application Procedures for the MAE Program in Economics
Applications are accepted for Fall term. The deadline is January 15.
The application form can be submitted on-line from:
Application fee waivers are not provided by the department. Applications submitted without the fee will be withdrawn from the review process.
All applicants must submit the following supporting documentation in addition to the application and the application fee including
- Statement of purpose. The statement of purpose should be a concise, well-written statement about your academic and research background, your career goals, and how Michigan’s graduate program will help you meet your career and educational objectives.
- Personal statement (500 word limit). Your personal statement should indicate how your background and life experiences, including cultural, geographical, financial, educational or other opportunities or challenges, motivated your decision to pursue a graduate degree at the University of Michigan.
- General aptitude Graduate Record Examination score report, less than five years old. When registering for the GRE or sending additional score reports, applicants should use the University of Michigan code 1839. There is no department code.
- Three letters of recommendation from undergraduate teachers or others in a position to evaluate the applicants' potential for graduate study. Electronic letters should be submitted with the on-line application. Instructions for submitting letters are included in the application link above.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Transcripts and Academic Records/Transcript Submission Form - pdf
The Rackham Graduate School, an administrative unit that oversees many of the graduate programs on campus, requires an official transcript. Please send an official copy of your transcript to the Rackham Graduate School at the following address:
Rackham Graduate School
Attn: Transcripts/U-M ID# (if known) or Date of Birth (mm/dd/yyyy)
915 E Washington Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070
In addition, the Department of Economics requires a copy of your transcript. If you upload your transcript with the online application you do not have to mail a copy to the Department of Economics. Otherwise, please mail your transcript to the following address:
Applied Economics Program
Department of Economics
University of Michigan
611 Tappan Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1220
- TOEFL score if you are a non-native English speaker. We accept the IELTS or IBT TOEFL score reports in lieu of the TOEFL.
The TOEFL score must be less than two years old. Applicants who have earned or will earn a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree are exempt from submitting an Official English Proficiency Score if:
- The degree was earned from an institution where the language of instruction is English, exclusively. Verification from the school may be required.
- The degree was earned from a country where the official language is English (United States of America, Australia, England).
Any questions about these procedures can be addressed to Econ-MAEProgram@umich.edu.
Please Do NOT submit the following materials:
A. Writing sample
B. Paper copy of GRE and/or TOEFL score reports
Current UM Graduate Students Applying for Dual Degree with MAE
Please follow the instructions listed at:
Additionally, please submit a statement of purpose to the MAE program explaining your reason for pursuing the MAE degree and include details regarding your background in economics.
For questions regarding admissions please send an email to Econ-MAEProgram@umich.edu.