FAQs

1. How can I get the latest information about registration for economics classes?

Join our e-mail group.  We send information about classes that are added, dropped, or enlarged after publication of the time schedule.  We also send updated information about override procedures for specific courses.  To join the e-mail group, go to: http://www.lsa.umich.edu/econ/undergraduatestudy/emailgroup/.

2. One of the classes I want to take is full, and I was told I should ask the Department for an override.  Whom should I contact?

Each instructor sets his or her own override policy.  Some instructors, especially those teaching large courses, choose not to create waitlists.  If a course without a waitlist closes, and if an enrolled student then drops the course, the vacated seat becomes available to the first person to register for it.  To learn an instructor’s waitlist policy, check first our group e-mail (to join the e-mail group go to:http://www.lsa.umich.edu/econ/undergraduatestudy/emailgroup), then the course guide, and finally the instructor’s personal website.  If the instructor’s policy appears in none of these places, contact the instructor directly.  The department issues overrides only when requested to do so by the instructor.

3. I am first on the waitlist for a course.  I know students who were below me on the waitlist but who have already received overrides.  Why did they receive overrides before me?

Again, each instructor sets his or her own override policy.  The instructor is not obliged to take students in order from the waitlist.  To learn the instructor’s policy, check first our group e-mail (to join, please go to: http://www.lsa.umich.edu/econ/undergraduatestudy/emailgroup), then the course guide, and finally the instructor’s personal website.  If the instructor’s policy appears in none of these places, contact the instructor directly.  The department issues overrides only when requested to do so by the instructor.

4. I took microeconomics and/or macroeconomics in high school, and I received a 4 or 5 on the relevant AP test(s).  Why am I not getting credit for Econ 101 and/or Econ 102?

For students who enter U-M in or after Fall Term 2009, the department will award 2 departmental credits in economics to a student who receives a 4 or 5 on the AP Microeconomics exam and 2 departmental credits in economics to a student who receives a 4 or 5 on the AP Macroeconomics exam.  Such credits are not for Econ 101 or Econ 102.  They do not satisfy the prerequisites for the major, for the minor, or for any 300- for 400-level course in economics.  Students who receive 2 departmental credits for AP Microeconomics are eligible to receive full credit for Econ 101, and students who receive 2 departmental credits for AP Macroeconomics are eligible to receive full credit for Econ 102.

5. Why are most seats in 300-level classes reserved for sophomores and juniors?

Most seniors have satisfied the prerequisites for 400-level electives in economics, but most sophomores and some juniors have not.  If seniors and advanced juniors fill the 300-level courses, then less-advanced students cannot progress toward a major in economics. One of the purposes of 300-level courses is to provide students who are not concentrators, and therefore have not completed 400-level prerequisites, an opportunity to study economics. In many cases, the department offers courses on a particular topic (such as international economics or environmental economics) at the 300-level and at the 400-level. Once a student has completed the 400-level prerequisites, the student should plan to take the 400-level courses designed for concentrators.

6. When are seats in 300-level economics classes available to seniors?

At the beginning of registration, 20 seats are available in each 300-level class to students with senior standing.  If its “senior seats” fill, a 300-level course reopens to seniors at the end of the last day of sophomore registration.  Senior standing is based on the sum, at registration-time, of credit-hours already completed and credit-hours currently elected.

7. I am in just my second or third year at U-M; but, on account of the credits I have accumulated, I have senior standing.  As a result, I am having difficulty registering for 300-level courses.  And yet, when I was in my first year, before most seats were reserved for sophomores and juniors in 300-level courses, I was also unable to register for such courses.  I feel caught in the transition from a system in which sophomores and juniors do not have priority in registering for 300-level courses to a system in which sophomores and juniors do have such priority.

Frankly, you’re right; but take heart!  Students are divided now into 27 different registration priority groups, based on credit-hours already completed and currently elected.  Transfer credits, including AP credits, count.  So students with lots of transfer credits have priority claims on the “senior seats” in 300-level economics classes.

8. I want to enroll in Econ 401, but Wolverine Access won’t allow me to do so.  It says I don’t satisfy the prerequisites.  I took calculus in high school, and I received U-M credit for Math 120.

Math 120, the credit awarded for success on the AP Calculus AB exam, does not satisfy the math prerequisite for the economics major, for the economics minor, or for Econ 401.  The department makes no exceptions.  Math 121, the credit awarded for success on the AP Calculus BC exam, does satisfy the math prerequisite for the economics major, for the economics minor, and for Econ 401.

9. I want to enroll in Econ 406, but Wolverine Access won’t allow me to do so.  It says I don’t satisfy the prerequisite (Econ 405), even though I have taken a statistics course that is considered as rigorous as the nominal prerequisite.

Econ 405 is the prerequisite for two reasons.  First, Econ 405 provides the requisite background in statistics; second, in effect, this prerequisite gives registration priority in Econ 406 to econ majors.  Other statistics courses may serve the first purpose, but they don’t serve the second purpose.  Students with a strong background in statistics but no credit for Econ 405 should check our group e-mail ( to join, go to: http://www.lsa.umich.edu/econ/undergraduatestudy/emailgroup/), the course guide, and the instructor’s personal website to learn the instructor’s criteria for granting individual overrides.

10. How can I schedule an appointment with an ECON advisor?

You may schedule an appointment online only at http://www.lsa.umich.edu/econ/undergraduatestudy/concentrationadvising. Due to their very busy schedule, our advisors do not take walk-in appointments.