David Alonso

David Alonso

(former postdoctoral fellow with Professor Mercedes Pascual)
Dr. David Alonso, former postdoctoral fellow in Professor Mercedes Pascual’s lab, was awarded a Ramon y Cajal Fellowship from the Spanish Government in 2010. Alonso is an assistant research professor at the Institute for Advanced Studies of Blanes (CEAB), part of the Spanish Institution of Scientific Research (CSIC). He moved back to Spain in July 2011 to start the five-year position. The CSIC has several ecology centers across Spain; the Biological Station of Donana in Sevilla is best known worldwide. “Blanes is a smaller center with potential to grow,” he said. “I am looking forward to contributing to the findings and research of this center.”

After his postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Michigan, he had a three-year postdoctoral VENI fellowship from the Dutch Institution for Scientific Research (NWO) at the University of Groningen. “While in Groningen, I worked in the Conservation and Community Ecology (COCON) group directed by Dr. Han Olff,” Alonso said. “There I have been involved in a variety of projects involving stochastic descriptions of community dynamics and ecological networks and ranging from large herbivore ecology in savanna ecosystems to the role of natural enemies in the dynamics of biodiversity in rainforests.”

Alonso frequently visits U-M EEB to maintain a fruitful collaboration with Pascual and Professor Annette Ostling.