Prosanta Chakrabarty

Prosanta Chakrabarty

(Ph.D. EEB 2006)

Prosanta Chakrabarty recently wrote a book called, "A Guide to Academia: Getting into and surviving grad school, postdocs and a research job," published by Wiley. It is now available on Amazon.

“I started writing the book as a little side project without much intention of it being anything but a little pamphlet reference to give to undergrads and grad students,” Chakrabarty said. “I wanted to put all the advice I was given by lots of good people (mostly at Michigan) onto paper. I had about 50 or so pages when I was approached by an editor for Wiley at a scientific conference who wanted to know if I had any ideas for books. (He sought me out because of some of the press I was getting during the oil spill in Louisiana.)

"I showed him my draft and he and I hashed out a plan to publish the book once I expanded it to include the entire academic landscape - from undergrad to tenure. I'm happy with the outcome and I think it will help students trying to figure out each step of the academic process from getting into graduate school and doing well there to getting a job in academia. I think students at Michigan will especially benefit since a lot of what I write about happened to me there. Michigan folks like Bill Fink, Jerry Smith, Deborah Goldberg, Marc Ammerlann (and many others) taught me a great deal about the academic process and a lot of their wisdom is on these pages.”

His book received a glowing review June 8, 2012, in the journal Science. Chakrabarty is assistant professor and curator of fishes at Louisiana State University, Museum of Natural Science in Baton Rouge.