Sep 24, 2011
In June 1941, by action of the Board of Regents, the English Language Institute was established at the University of Michigan.
The charge to the ELI was twofold: to conduct research in teaching English as a foreign language and to test new scientifically-based materials for the teaching of English.
In the first year, the ELI inaugurated an intensive course in English as a foreign language, the first ever offered on a university campus in the Western Hemisphere.
Read more of the ELI's story on our History page.