After Your Application

Choose a topic below to learn more.

At any time, please contact with any questions you have.

Visas and Legal Information +

Visas and Legal Information

If you need a visa, you should work on getting it as soon as possible once you have an I-20 with an appropriate start date.

In order to enter the U.S. to study, you will need two documents:

  1. An I-20 with appropriate start date (in this case: June 26, 2013)
  2. A U.S. visa

Immediately after being admitted to a Summer Program, you should contact your admitting unit to make sure your I-20 has an appropriate start date, and so the unit can begin to process the appropriate documents.

Students arriving in the fall have a start date sometime in August. The appropriate start date for attending the summer programs is June 26, 2013.

Should you have any further questions regarding start dates and I-20s please contact

You should also check your nearest U.S. embassy for information on regulations and wait times related to visa applications.

Health Insurance +

Health Insurance

All international students attending the University of Michigan are required to have health insurance. Additional information will be provided during Orientation.

More information about health insurance can be found on the website of the UM International Center.

Housing +


Finding housing can be time consuming so it is advisable to immediately start looking for housing as soon as you have been accepted to any U-M program.

The ELI does not make housing arrangements for our summer programs students. Therefore, you must arrange for your own summer housing accommodation prior to your arrival on campus.

On-Campus Housing

The best way to get information about on-campus housing is by visiting the following U-M Housing websites:

Move-In and Move-Out

You can move into Mosher Jordan or Stockwell on June 24, 2013, from 3pm to 8pm, and must move out on or before the last day of the lease. Take note that you must have a signed lease agreement in order to move in, and must arrange for temporary accommodations if you arrive at the U-M prior to the official move-in date.

Meal Plan

A meal plan is part of the standard residence hall contract for all residents.

For more information about the meal plan and meal types available, please see the meal plan options on this page:

Housing for Students with Families

Located on North Campus are the Northwood Community Apartments (NCA), university-owned apartments and townhouses for U-M students with spouses/partners and children. Spring/summer term housing units are available from May to August and some units may be subcontracted.

For additional information, visit:

Late Arrival

If you have a signed lease you can go directly to the residence hall that you have been assigned to. Unfortunately, if you do not have a signed lease you will need to find alternative accommodations. Remember, you cannot go to a residence hall and request a room. However if you arrive in Ann Arbor and have not made arrangements to stay in a residence hall, go to the Housing Information Office when you arrive to either arrange for a room in the residence hall or get information for off-campus housing. You can arrange university housing only during the Housing Office's open hours. We recommend that you go to the Housing Office well before closing time as it does take time to process room requests.

For more information, visit

Summer On-Campus Residence Halls

Mosher Jordan and Stockwell are designated on-campus residence halls for students enrolled in the spring/summer semester. Both are co-ed residence halls and conveniently located near many university buildings and the Central Campus Recreation Building. Mosher Jordan has single and double room occupancy while Stockwell has single, double and triple room occupancy.

For more specific information about these two residence halls' amenities and other living conditions, visit the U-M Housing pages for:

To request a housing application, contact

Off-Campus Housing

Off-campus housing refers to any housing not owned and operated by the University. It includes small-group housing, such as apartments, houses, rooms, and co-ops. Summer subleases often are available at reduced rates. Students who want to live off-campus should refer to the Shared Housing and Sublets section of

In addition, if you need more information about off-campus housing (apartments, houses, and rooms in Ann Arbor), you can contact the Housing Information Office. Housing advisors are often available during office hours to help with your housing needs and concerns.


An alternative to the residence halls is student cooperative housing, managed by the Inter-Cooperative Council (ICC). There are group houses and apartments scattered throughout North and Central campuses. North Campus attracts a large graduate student population and a sizable international student population as well. Central Campus is a large, diverse crowd that is mostly undergrads.

For more information on Ann Arbor student cooperative housing, visit

Ecumenical Center

Located near Central Campus is the Ecumenical Center and International Residence (ECIR), a unique living experience for international students and scholars. The mission of the ECIR is to be a reconciling international, interfaith, living/learning community across the lines of religion, ethnicity, and culture. The ECIR often has housing available.

For information, please visit

Resources for Families +

Arrival and Getting Started +

Arrival and Getting Started

We recommend that new students arrive a few days before the program in order to arrange their housing and get acquainted with the area.  We do not encourage latecomers.  Students must request special permission to enter a program late. This permission is not always granted.

Ground Transportation from Detroit Metropolitan Airport


If you arrive in Ann Arbor after the Housing Office has closed, you may need to stay in a hotel in or near Ann Arbor. For information about hotels in the area, visit the UM Campus Information Centers.

Michigan Identification Card (Mcard)

As soon as you arrive, you need to get your university identification card (or Mcard).  All students should go to one of the two Mcard centers, located on Central and North Campus.  For the location of both centers, visit the following link:

In order to get your Mcard, you will need to show a picture ID (passport, driver's license) and the letter of admission from your department, college or school, or the ELI summer program.

You will need your Mcard to check into a residence hall, eat in a residence hall, use the athletic facilities, check out books from the library, and use the computing facilities. 

Life in Ann Arbor +

Life in Ann Arbor

Plenty of information about Ann Arbor's shopping, services, and entertainment can be found online.