Program Description - English for Academic Purposes
The English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program offers a six-and-a-half-week intensive English experience to undergraduate and graduate students who are proficient in English and who have been accepted to an English-speaking university for the fall term. The primary focus of the EAP program is on developing the specific language skills necessary to participate effectively in an academic setting.
Classes meet approximately twenty hours per week, Monday through Friday. Attendance at all class sessions, active participation in all classroom activities, and the completion of homework assignments is mandatory. Small class size and student-teacher conferences provide participants with extensive individual attention. A certificate is awarded to participants who fulfill all program requirements.
The EAP program also introduces participants to the culture of the US university environment in order to prepare them for the transition into full time academic study in the fall. Participants gain a wider understanding of the US university system, instructor expectations, and student responsibilities.
What You Will Experience
The program provides instruction in and practice with the skills you will need to communicate effectively in university contexts. These include:
- Written genres such as research papers, summaries, and academic emails
- Reading skills, text analysis, and vocabulary development
- Lecture comprehension and note-taking techniques
- Small-group and pair classroom interactions
- Academic presentations, some of which are recorded for instructor and peer feedback
- Pronunciation practice, especially on stress and intonation, with an introduction to self-study pronunciation technology
What You Will Accomplish
Participating in the EAP program will help you become more confident using English in academic and social contexts. Specifically, you will:
- Recognize and use conventions for written academic communication
- Participate in classroom discussions
- Prepare and deliver academic presentations
- Develop strategies to establish yourself as a member of an academic discourse community
- Identify and correct your own errors in speaking and writing
- Understand important aspects of American academic culture
- Become familiar with Ann Arbor and the U-M campus
- Make friends and begin to build social and professional networks
Who Provides the Instruction
The EAP instructional staff consists of members of the English Language Institute’s distinguished faculty along with other world-class instructors, all of whom have advanced credentials and extensive experience teaching English for Academic Purposes.
Language and Culture Beyond the Curriculum
The EAP program is committed to helping participants expand their use of English in social settings, so a variety of social events are included in the summer schedule. In addition, participants in the EAP program have access to U-M libraries and computing centers on campus. Access to sports and fitness facilities is available for a small fee.
Prepare Yourself for Your Academic Program
The best way to prepare yourself for the demands of an American university is to attend the English Language Institute’s English for Academic Purposes (EAP) summer program. This six-and-a-half-week intensive program is designed especially for graduate and undergraduate students who will be starting degree programs in the US. By participating in this program, you will improve your ability to use English in a university context, enhance your understanding of US academic culture, and familiarize yourself with the campus and setting at the University of Michigan. You will also learn more about yourself and how to make the most of your time at a US college or university.
Program dates: July 1 – August 14, 2015
Application deadline: May 15, 2015
Tuition deadline: June 1, 2015
The application/registration process for ELI’s 2015 Summer Programs is now open.
Click HERE to apply.
NOTE: A deposit of $500.00 must be received before your application can be processed. Full tuition must be received by the tuition deadline (see above).
Click here for additional important information about summer program costs.
Please email us if you have more questions: email@example.com.