News & Events
KUDOS Summer 2013
Below is a list of some of the remarkable achievements of our faculty
- June Howard has won a Fulbright award for 2013 to teach at the University of Southern Denmark.
- Lorna Goodison’s poem Bam Chi Chi La La: London is part of the collection of the London Underground’s “Poems on the Tube” series to mark the Tube’s 150th anniversary.
- Patsy Yaeger is the recipient of a John H. D’Arms Award for Distinguished Graduate Mentoring in the Humanities.
- David Halperin, author of How to Be Gay, was a finalist for the 2012 Randy Shilts Award for Gay Nonfiction.
Larry Goldstein reports that Oxford University Press has now posted a collection of 76 articles in the Cinema and Media Studies group of its new OxfordBibliographiesOnline project. Larry’s bibliography is on the topic “Poems, Novels, and Plays About Film.” It comprises some 150 annotated entries as well as commentary preceding the different sections and sub-sections. For more information see www.oxfordbibliographies.
com. Larry has also published on the Best American Poetry blog a two-part essay on the subject of the encounter poem, including rules and regulations and brief analyses of poems by Wordsworth, Robert Hayden, Robert Frost, Ana Castillo, Anne Carson, and Denise Duhamel. Seehttp://blog. bestamericanpoetry.com/the_ best_american_poetry/2013/01/ exclusive-the-encounter-poem- part-ii-by-laurence-goldstein. html
Thylias Moss was featured in LSA Today in a piece about Pi Day (3/14) and her work. http://www.lsa.umich.edu/lsa/
- Laura Kasischke was selected to receive the Distinguished Faculty Achievement Award from Rackham. She was also included in a list of the top 25 women professors in Michigan.
- Anita Norich has been named a Collegiate Professor of English and Judaic Studies.
- Natalie Bakopoulos’s debut novel, The Green Shore, was published by Simon and Schuster in June and released simultaneously in translation in Greece. She appeared in the June 2012 issue of Oprah Magazine.
- V.V. (Sugi) Ganeshananthan received summer fellowships to both the Yaddo and McDowell Colonies for the summer of 2012.
- Mike Hinken received a 2012-12 fellowship to the Provincetown Art Center in Provincetown, Massachusetts.