News & Events
- Scott Lyons is the recipient of a 2014 Henry Russel Award.
- David Gold recently received an APSF award and published an edited collection, Rhetoric, History, and Women's Oratorical Education.
Gina Brandolino co-edited a special issue of the journal Pedagogy, “Teaching Medieval Literature off the Grid.” The issue makes the case for incorporating noncanonical medieval texts in a range of literature courses and offers practical ways to look beyond conventional literary, ideological, and canonical boundaries. Here's a link to the issue's Table of Contents: http://pedagogy.dukejournals.
- Petra Kuppers has been made a Faculty Fellow of the National Center for Institutional Diversity, and she has received an Internationalizing the Curriculum Award from the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching. Also, the Women's Caucus for the Arts's incoming President has elected Petra to be the recipient of the President's Medal for Art and Activism, to be bestowed at the 2015 College Art Association Meeting in New York City.
- The multi-disciplinary research team (based at McGill) with which Steven Mullaney has been working for several years was just awarded a major grant from the Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC). Steven and Valerie Traub will be our campus representatives and co-investigators for a new 5-year research project entitled "Early Modern Conversions: Religions, Cultures, Cognitive Ecology” (earlymodernconversions.com). A significant portion of the funds will be used for graduate student support, so stay posted for further announcements.
- Danny Hack's article Wild Charges: The Afro-Haitian "Charge of the Light Brigade" just won the Donald Gray Prize, awarded by the North American Victorian Studies Association for the best essay published in the field of Victorian studies in 2012.
- John Knott's Imagining the Forest is getting the annual U of M Press award for the faculty book published by the University of Michigan Press that has added the greatest distinction to the Press List.
Congratulations to all.