U-M Department of English
U-M English Home

Undergraduate

Advising Information

Welcome to the University of Michigan Department of English Academic Advising and Student Services page. You must see a Major Advisor in order to declare a Major in English. In order to graduate you must see both a Major Advisor and an LSA Senior Auditor for your senior audit. You are encouraged to visit with a Major Advisor at least once a semester.

If you would like to make an appointment with an English Major Advisor or Peer Advisor, please use the following link:

» https://webapps.lsa.umich.edu/AdvAppts/AA_StuSelfSvc1.aspx?ctgy=ENG

NOTE: The above link is for scheduling appointments to speak with English advisors ONLY. If you need to speak with an LSA advisor, please visit the Newnan LSA Academic Advising Center > site for more information.

For more information about advising appointments, please see our Undergraduate Advising Appointments section.

Back by popular demand — our Peer Advisors have advising appointments as well as walk-in hours.

Have a quick question about the English program? Haven't had time to make an appointment to declare your major? Come speak to one of our English Peer Advisors in our new Undergraduate Student Lounge at 3200 Angell Hall.

Kelly Nhan:
Appt Hours: Wednesday, 1pm-4pm; Friday 1pm-3pm

Katie Stark:
Appt Hours: Monday, 1pm-3:30pm; Tuesday, 12pm-2:30pm

Dani Vignos:
Appt Hours: Monday & Wednesday, 11am-1pm; Friday 12pm-1pm

About Our Peer Advisors:

Kelly Nhan

Walk-in/Appt Hours: Wednesday, 1pm-4pm; Friday 1pm-3pm

Kelly Nahn I am a junior majoring in English and Women's Studies. Originally from Connecticut, I transferred after my freshman year into the University of Michigan and have loved my college experience here so far. I decided to study English because in this program I am able to combine my love for literature and a thirst for understanding and critical thinking, in addition to enjoying a flexible outlook for my professional career in the future.  As well as peer advising in the Undergraduate English Department, I am a part of SAPAC's Networking, Publicity, and Activism student volunteer group on campus. Along with my passion for reading and social justice, I enjoy exploring new cities, drinking coffee, listening to indie music, and eating good food. I look forward to meeting with my fellow English majors to discuss academic or professional interests, or even learn about their own experience here in the English department.

Katie Stark

Walk-in/Appt Hours: Monday, 1pm-3:30pm; Tuesday, 12pm-2:30pm

Katie Stark My name is Katie and I am a junior studying English with a minor in Gender and Health through the Women's Studies department. Over the past three years, I have combined my love for English and social justice by taking English classes that focus on the experiences of marginalized people, anywhere from Abolition Literature to The Newest Americans, immigrants to the United States. Elsewhere on campus, I have done research to put together a sociology course. I hope to use the reading, writing, and critical analysis skills that I have learned in English to help me pursue a graduate degree in Public Health. I'm honored to be able to help other English students as a Peer Advisor, and I can't wait to meet everyone and learn about their experiences!

Dani Vignos

Walk-in/Appt Hours: Monday & Wednesday, 11am-1pm; Friday 12pm-1pm

Dani Vignos Hello all, I am Dani Vignos. I was born and raised in the sun of the San Francisco Bay Area, but I have been bleeding maize and blue from an earlyage. I am now a senior at the University of Michigan majoring in English with a minor in Crime and Justice. I have been fortunate enough to take advantage of many of the opportunities the English Department has to offer. NELP (New England Literature Program), on the lakeshores of New Hampshire, was one of the most formative experiences during my college career. This program helped to show me all the doors a single book can open and the enormity of my chosen path. Similarly, I attended Camp Davis the summer of my sophomore year as a part of the History & Lit of the American Rockies class. This past semester I studied abroad in Madrid where I was able to become fully immersed in a new country and culture. I am driven by the outdoors, place, literature and experience. I love surrounding myself with the unknown and familiarizing myself with new faces. I have always asked a lot of questions during my explorations and I figured it’s time to give back and answer some questions. I am honored be in this position and I look forward to meeting all of my peers!

Peer Advisors are located in 3200 Angell Hall

Dept. of English Language and Literature

home mission statement sitemap contact

U-M English on Facebook
U-M English on Facebook
U-M English on iTunes U
U-M English on YouTube

435 S. State Street, 3187 Angell Hall
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1003
Phone: (734) 764-6330 Fax: (734) 763-3128