U-M Department of English
U-M English Home

Undergraduate

Advising Information

Welcome to the University of Michigan Department of English Academic Advising and Student Services page. You must see a Major Advisor in order to declare a Major in English. In order to graduate you must see both a Major Advisor and an LSA Senior Auditor for your senior audit. You are encouraged to visit with a Major Advisor at least once a semester.

If you would like to make an appointment with an English Major Advisor or Peer Advisor, please use the following link:

» https://webapps.lsa.umich.edu/AdvAppts/AA_StuSelfSvc1.aspx?ctgy=ENG

NOTE: The above link is for scheduling appointments to speak with English advisors ONLY. If you need to speak with an LSA advisor, please visit the Newnan LSA Academic Advising Center > site for more information.

For more information about advising appointments, please see our Undergraduate Advising Appointments section.

Back by popular demand — our Peer Advisors have advising appointments as well as walk-in hours.

Have a quick question about the English program? Haven't had time to make an appointment to declare your major? Come speak to one of our English Peer Advisors in our new Undergraduate Student Lounge at 3200 Angell Hall.

Hailey Middlebrook:
Appt Hours: Monday and Wednesday 2:30 - 5:00

Scarlett Wardrop:
Appt Hours: Monday and Wednesday 12:00 - 2:30

About Our Peer Advisors:

Hailey Middlebrook

Walk-in/Appt Hours: Monday and Wednesday 2:30 - 5:00

Hailey Middlebrook Hailey Middlebrook is a senior from Ludington, Michigan, studying English with a focus on nonfiction writing. Outside of class, she is a staff writer for the Arts section of the Michigan Daily, and this year she will specialize as a health and fitness columnist. Writing and fitness have always been two of Hailey’s passions; for her first three years at Michigan, she was a member of the varsity cross country and track teams, and was an editorial intern for Running Times magazine in the summer after her junior year. Like her interests, Hailey’s career plans are diverse: she spent her freshman and sophomore years on a pre-med track, but then shifted to pursue careers in law and journalism post-graduation. As an advisor, Hailey hopes to help other students decide their own career paths, whether they be in the medical field, in publishing, or anything in between — the beauty of the English major, she believes, is that it develops critical writing, analytic and communication skills that form a foundation for professional success.

Scarlett Wardrop

Walk-in/Appt Hours: Monday and Wednesday 12:00 - 2:30

Scarlett Wardrop My name is Scarlett Wardrop and I am a Senior majoring in English and minoring in Computer Science. I’ve always loved English classes because I enjoy reading and delving into the meaning of literature, as well as writing creative works. The engaging English classes I’ve taken at this University have taught me to seek meaning from literature of all time periods, persuade a reader to consider a bold thesis, and to be empathetic with others through reading and interpretation. Similarly, the Computer Science classes I’ve taken have challenged me to learn and interpret new programming languages, as well as construct programs to be efficient and understood by others. In addition to my studies, I enjoy working as a Resident Assistant on North Campus, writing poetry and fiction, reading novels and fashion magazines, and consuming coffee and chocolate. I’m excited to meet other English majors and discuss the ways studying English can advance a professional career and future studies.

Peer Advisors are located in 3200 Angell Hall

Dept. of English Language and Literature

home mission statement sitemap contact

U-M English on Facebook
U-M English on Facebook
U-M English on iTunes U
U-M English on YouTube

435 S. State Street, 3187 Angell Hall
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1003
Phone: (734) 764-6330 Fax: (734) 763-3128