U-M Department of English
U-M English Home

Undergraduate

Faculty Spotlight: Victor  Mendoza

Title: Assistant Professor
Degree:
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley  2007
Mendoza

Contact Info

Office:

2138 Lane Hall

Phone:

647-0772

Uniqname:

vmendoza

email:

vmendoza@umich.edu

Departmental Profile:

» View

Research Interests

Primary Interests

US minority literature and culture, Asian American literature and culture, Philippine American literature and culture, African American literature and culture, queer of color critique, queer studies, transnational feminist and gender studies, postcolonial studies, critical race theory, cultures of U.S, imperialism, interdisciplinary approaches to literature, performance studies, visual culture.

Secondary Interests

late 19th-, 20th, and 21st-C US literary and cultural production, US modernisms, poststructuralism, psychoanalysis, marxism.

Q & A

What was your major in Undgrad/Grad school?

My PhD was in English and American Literature

What is the one thing you wish you could have changed about your undergrad career?

I wish I’d been introduced to critical theory a bit sooner.

What was your favorite class in college?

The ones that stick out were an English seminar on Anglo-Irish Big House literature, a philosophy seminar on Merleau-Ponty seminar (Maurice Merleau-Ponty was a French phenomenologist), and a 20th-Century U.S. lit course.  Oh--voice lessons, also, were formative.

What was your favorite book in college?

Ellison’s Invisible Man; Deleuze and Guattari’s A Thousand Plateaus

Did you have a favorite professor in college? If so, what did he/she do that made them stick out to you?

I had three favorite professors in English (in a department that at the time had about 8 faculty!). What was most remarkable about them is how they coaxed everyone to pay very close attention to the texts at hand, making what I thought to be an otherwise familiar piece of literature unfamiliar.

What are you working on right now?

I’m finishing a book manuscript called “Fantasy Islands: Race, Sexuality, and the Philippines in U.S. Imperialism.” It’s about how U.S. colonization of the Philippines affected the processes of racial and sexual categorization in the U.S. metropole.

What are you reading right now?

Beyond the things I’m reading for class (Chang-rae Lee’s novel A Gesture Life and various essays in LGBTQ studies), I’m reading Julia H. Lee’s Interracial Encounters, Nicole Waligora-Davis’s Sanctuary, and Judith/Jack Halberstam’s The Queer Art of Failure. One day, I hope I get to read novels and poetry again!

Did you have any interesting jobs during and after college that were outside of academia?

The graduate programs I attended didn’t offer much funding during the summers, so I’ve had to find temp work on my own. I had jobs as a server, a bartender, an administrative assistant, a barista, a factory-line worker at a bottle cap making plant; I also wrote copy for the website of an MBA program.

What would your best advice be for undergraduates trying to figure out what they want to do after graduation?

Go to the Career Center!

Office Hours
Thursdays, 1-3pm, 2138 Lane Hall

Publications

Fantasy Islands: Illicit Desires, Race, and the Philippines in United States Imperialism (book manuscript in progress)

"Little Brown Students and the Homoerotics of White Love,"
Asian American Subgenres: 1853-1941. Ed. Hsuan Hsu. Spec. double issue of Genre: Forms of Discourse and Culture 39:4 (winter 2006 [published 2007]): 65-83.

"'Come Buy': The Crossing of Sexual and Consumer Desire in Christina Rossetti's
Goblin Market," ELH (formerly English Literary History) 73:4 (December 2006): 913-47.

"A Queer Nomadology of Jessica Hagedorn's
Dogeaters," American Literature 77:4 (December 2005): 815-845.

Reviews:
Puar, Jasbir K. Terrorist Assemblages: Homonationalism in Queer Times. Journal of Asian American Studies 12:1 (February 2009): 128-32.

So, Christine, Economic Citizens: A Narrative of Asian American Visibility and Claudia Sadowski-Smith, Border Fictions: Globalization, Empire, and Writing at the Boundaries of the United States. American Literature 83.1 (March 2011): 215-17.

Dept. of English Language and Literature

home mission statement sitemap contact

U-M English on Facebook
U-M English on Facebook
U-M English on iTunes U
U-M English on YouTube

435 S. State Street, 3187 Angell Hall
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1003
Phone: (734) 764-6330 Fax: (734) 763-3128