The Specific Goals of English 125 and English 124
In the English Department Writing Program, our overall learning goals for students in English 125 (Writing and Academic Inquiry) and English 124 (Academic Writing and Literature) are as follows:
- To produce complex, analytic, well-supported arguments that matter in academic contexts.
- To read, summarize, analyze, and synthesize complex texts purposefully in order to generate and support writing.
- To analyze the genres and rhetorical strategies that writers use in different rhetorical situations.
- To develop flexible strategies for organizing, revising, editing, and proofreading writing of varying lengths to improve development of ideas and appropriateness of expression.
- To hone skills at critical self-assessment and reflection on the process of writing.
- To collaborate with peers and the instructor to define revision strategies for particular pieces of writing, to set goals for improving writing, and to devise effective plans for achieving those goals.