Academic units of the University of Michigan may invite faculty researchers, from other Universities as Visiting Scholars. This status is reserved for scholars who are invited to pursue a program of research during a limited term of residence. Visiting Scholars may have access to certain limited services and resources. Currently employed staff, faculty and students of the University of Michigan are not eligible for this status.
Visiting Scholars must:
- Have an earned PhD (or equivalent) or other comparable terminal graduate or graduate-professional degree (i.e., JD, MD, MFA, etc.), and hold a faculty or other permanent research position at another accredited university, college, or research organization or
- Have a Master’s or equivalent intermediate degree and substantial professional experience that the host unit affirms to be equivalent to that expected of a member of the University of Michigan faculty; and
- Be pursuing a program of research as their primary purpose; and
- Be invited (‘sponsored’) by a department, program or other University academic unit; and
- Be in residence for a term of not less than one month and not more than three calendar years.
The process for identifying and credentialing persons as official ‘Visiting Scholars’ at the University of Michigan had been administered for many years by the Rackham Graduate School. With the advent of new technology to facilitate this process, responsibility for the Visiting Scholar program is moving from Rackham to Academic Human Resources effective May 1, 2012. Questions about Visiting Scholar designations may be directed to staff in Academic Human Resources at (734) 763-8938.
AHR will add additional information and interim procedures for designating Visiting Scholars to our website in the very near future.
Initially, Visiting Scholar processes and procedures administered by Academic HR and the responsibilities of hosting academic units will remain much as they have been in the past. In the near future though, additional M-Community tools provided through ITS will allow authorized representatives of hosting academic units to ‘Sponsor’ Visiting Scholar designations with greater independence and convenience. (It is anticipated that these tools will be similar in presentation to the menu-based web services now provided via the ‘People Pay’ system.)
Please note that faculty members from other Universities who are visiting the University of Michigan and who will be conducting and being compensated for their research activities should be appointed as Visiting Research Faculty consistent with guidelines published by the Office of the Office of the Vice President for Research.
Finally, administration of arrangements related to Visiting Research Students will continue, as in the past, to be administered by the Rackham Graduate School.)
LSA Faculty & Staff
- Academic Affairs
- Budget and Finance
- Chairs and Directors
- Development, Marketing & Communications (DMC)
- Facilities & Operations
- Graduate Education
- Human Resources
- Information Technology (LSAIT)
- Instructional Support Services (ISS)
- Key Administrators
- Management Information Systems (MIS)
- Office of the Dean
- Office Services
- Security and Safety
- Shared Services
- Standard Practice Guide
- Student Academic Affairs
- Undergraduate Education