Home / LSA Faculty & Staff / Academic Affairs / Policies and Procedures / Tenured and Tenure Track Faculty /
Courtesy (aka Dry) Appointments & Renewals for Tenure-Track Faculty
Tenure-track faculty members may wish to add a courtesy appointment in an LSA unit or in a unit at another school/college. These non-tenure-track appointments are known as courtesy (or dry) because they are not funded and are not on the tenure-track. These appointments require College Executive Committee approval at the junior rank and Provost/President approval (in some cases) and Regents approval at the senior rank.
In LSA courtesy appointments are limited to 5-year renewal terms.
For junior (tenure-track) faculty, the initial appointment and the 3rd-year review are particularly appropriate times to consider adding a courtesy appointment. However, changes in title cannot be made in the two years prior to the tenure review.
Senior (tenured) faculty members may request a courtesy appointment at any time.
A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is not required for a courtesy appointment.
Courtesy Appointment Requests:
The process begins when a faculty member makes a request to add a courtesy appointment. Before the paperwork can be submitted to the College, there are various levels of approval needed:
- The first approvals come from all the units involved. If one of these units is outside LSA, approval from the dean of that school/college is also needed.
- For junior and senior faculty, the next approval is from the LSA Executive Committee.
- For junior faculty no higher approvals are needed. Once the unit receives the email notification of Executive Committee approval, the appointment paperwork may be sent to the Dean’s office (see Submitting Appointment Paperwork below).
- For senior faculty, the next approval is from the Provost/President.
- Once the unit receives the email notification of Provost/President approval and the Dean’s office has approved the offer letter, the offer may be sent to the candidate.
- For senior faculty, the final approval is from the Regents. Once the senior faculty member accepts, the Dean’s office will submit a request to the Regents.
Once the faculty member has accepted the offer (and for senior faculty, the Regents have approved the appointment), the appointment paperwork may be submitted to the Dean’s office (see section on Submitting the Appointment or Renewal Paperwork below).
Preparing a Request for Executive Committee Approval:
Send request packets for appointment or renewal to Mandy Harrison (email@example.com; 2150 LSA Bldg., 615-0659) for scheduling on the next available Executive Committee agenda.
The packet should include:
- A memo or email request from the faculty member;
- A current CV;
- A cover memo addressed to the College Executive Committee and signed by the chair(s)/director(s) of all the units involved. The memo should discuss:
- what role the faculty member will play in the unit; e.g., mentoring junior faculty and students, conducting a seminar, providing expertise in an area not covered by current faculty in the unit, etc.);
- the effective date of the appointment.
- If the cover memo does not include a signature from the primary unit/school/college, include a memo or an email from the chair/director/dean of the primary unit/school/college saying they are aware of and support this courtesy appointment.
Submitting the Appointment or Renewal Paperwork:
- Junior faculty– Once the Executive Committee has approved the request, units may send the submittal to Deb Erskine (2156 LSA Bldg) for processing.
- Senior faculty – Once the Executive Committee has approved the request, the Dean’s office will forward the request to the Provost and President for their endorsement. Once we have their approval, units may notify the faculty member. Kathe Harrison (firstname.lastname@example.org) will prepare the request to the Regents. Once Regents’ approval is received, units may send the submittal to Deb Erskine (2156 LSA Bldg) for processing.
For additional information, please see the Provost’s guidelines on joint appointments at http://www.provost.umich.edu/faculty/joint_appointments/Joint_Appts_Final.pdf.
LSA Faculty & Staff
- Academic Affairs
- Budget and Finance
- Chairs and Directors
- Development, Marketing & Communications (DMC)
- Facilities & Operations
- Graduate Education
- Human Resources
- Information Technology (LSAIT)
- Instructional Support Services (ISS)
- Key Administrators
- Management Information Systems (MIS)
- Office of the Dean
- Office Services
- Security and Safety
- Shared Services
- Standard Practice Guide
- Student Academic Affairs
- Undergraduate Education