Home / LSA Faculty & Staff / Academic Affairs / Policies and Procedures / Tenured and Tenure Track Faculty / Family Friendly Policies and Procedures /
Delay of Third Year Review
A faculty member who has not yet had his/her third-year review may wish to delay the third-year review. The only way to delay a third-year review is to request postponement of that review along with a request for delay of tenure review.
A delay of tenure review is available to a tenure track faculty member who has experienced a life event as described previously in this document. A delay of tenure review:
- must be submitted within one year of the life event
- must be requested no later than April 1 of the 5th year on the tenure track
- does not preclude tenure review at the normal time
- is available immediately upon employment at the University
- requires approval by the College Executive Committee
- is for a period of one year at a time with a maximum of two years and may not extend beyond a total of eight years of service unless approved in writing by the Provost
- may not be for events occurring in the final year of a faculty member's tenure probationary period
- is granted for a newly born or adopted child and is available to both parents who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- employed at the University in a rank eligible for this benefit
- have equal care-giving responsibilities for the child.
A faculty member who receives one or two delays of the tenure review and is not awarded tenure may be appointed for a terminal year in his/her current title.
- A faculty member who wishes to request a delay in the tenure review should submit a written request to the appropriate chair/director. This request should include:
- the reasons for the delay of tenure review
- the academic year for which this exclusion is requested
- any other relevant information, and
- a current CV
- The chair/director will attach a memo supporting the request and forward the documents to Mandy Harrison (615-0659; 2150 LSA) for Divisional Associate Dean review and Executive Committee approval.
- Once the request has been reviewed by the College Executive Committee, the unit (chair/director, key administrator, secretary) will receive an email notification of the approval/denial.
See SPG 201.92, "Tenure Clock Probationary Period: Effects on Tenure Clock of Childbearing and Dependent Care Responsibilities," for the related University policy.
LSA Faculty & Staff
- Academic Affairs
- Budget and Finance
- Chairs and Directors
- Development, Marketing & Communications (DMC)
- Expect Respect
- Facilities & Operations
- Graduate Education
- Human Resources
- Information Technology (LSA IT)
- Instructional Support Services (ISS)
- Key Administrators
- Management Information Systems (MIS)
- Office of the Dean
- Security and Safety
- Shared Services
- Standard Practice Guide
- Student Academic Affairs
- Undergraduate Education