Coaching and Work Planning Guidelines
Regular two-way feedback is intended to keep the supervisor and the staff member working in a successful partnership.
WHAT KIND OF FEEDBACK?
- Regular day-to-day feedback
- Positive feedback—let supervisors, co-workers and employees know when you appreciate the work they are doing—recognize and compliment the kind of behavior you want to see continue
- Corrective feedback—to note problems and a plan for solution (see the 4-part feedback planner)
- Two-way: the supervisor needs to elicit feedback as well as give it
- Focus on work outcomes
- A periodic review and updating of KARs and goals in the work plan.
- Frequently—as work outcomes are apparent
- Informally based on staff member work – quarterly, monthly, weekly, and daily, after completion of special projects, after notable accomplishments, etc.
- Two semi-formal sessions, about 1 hour each to review the current work plan and progress towards goals.
- Encourage your staff to initiate meetings with you as needed.
- Communicate with (as opposed to checking up on) the staff member.
- At the agreed upon times (as well as informally through the year), discuss with your staff member his or her progress in meeting goals and any measurements that may be listed in the work plan. BE SPECIFIC and have examples prepared. Be prepared to make adjustments to work plan expectations, or to provide resources or assistance if necessary.
- NOTE IN WRITING any changes to the work plan.
- Your staff members need to be aware of your ongoing perspective of their work. It remains your responsibility to ensure that your staff members know, perhaps using multiple methods and sources of feedback, where they are doing well as well as where to improve now and through the year.
LSA Faculty & Staff
- Academic Affairs
- Budget and Finance
- Chairs and Directors
- Development, Marketing & Communications (DMC)
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Events and Communications Support
- Expect Respect
- Facilities & Operations
- Graduate Education
- Human Resources
- About Us
- Employee Relations
- HR Resources (links)
- LSA Policies & Guidelines
- Professional Development for LSA Staff
- Recruitment & Hiring
- Staff List
- Staff Achievement
- LSA HR Transaction Team
- For Employees & Applicants
- Information Technology (LSA IT)
- Instructional Support Services (ISS)
- LSA Administrative Forum
- Management Information Systems (MIS)
- Office of the Dean
- Security and Safety
- Standard Practice Guide
- Student Academic Affairs
- Undergraduate Education
- Unit Administrators