Letters to Faculty and Instructional Staff

Undergraduate Student Academic Policies, Winter 2014 (January 7, 2014)

January 7, 2014

To:       LSA Faculty and Instructional Staff

From:    Esrold A. Nurse, Assistant Dean

Re:       Undergraduate Student Academic Policies, Winter 2014

Greetings and welcome back to the Winter 2014 Term, after what I hope was a pleasant holiday break.  This memo serves as a gentle reminder of College policies and relevant information for this term.  

First and most importantly, I want to underscore Provost Pollack’s recent statement asking faculty members to accommodate students who may be arriving late due to the severe weather conditions.  The complete statement can be found on the U-M home page.  In particular, and on behalf of Dean Gelman, I am asking all relevant departments and instructors to suspend any disenrollment policies that result in the withdrawal of students from courses for non-attendance after one or two class sessions.     

The 2014 Martin Luther King, Jr. Symposium will soon be underway; you may want to highlight events, as appropriate, in your classes.  No regular classes are scheduled on Monday, January 20.  In addition, you may want to draw students’ attention to activities related to the current LSA theme semester, India in the World.

The last day for students to drop or add classes without getting permission, as well as to elect a coursepass/fail is Tuesday, January 28, 2014.  The student deadline for finishing Incomplete work from Fall Term is Tuesday, February 4.

For students completing their sophomore year, this is an important term because it is typically when they make decisions about declaring a major or minor.   As the term progresses, some students may look to you for advice about majors and minors in your department. It may be helpful to check with your departmental advisor for program information to pass on to students.  The annual Major/Minor Expo also is a good opportunity for students to learn about the various LSA academic majors and minors. The Expo is scheduled on Wednesday, March 12, 11:00 am to 3:00 pm, in the Michigan Union Ballroom.

An important resource for many of our students is the LSA Testing Accommodation Center (TAC).  The TAC provides space for testing accommodations for students with a verified disability taking LSA courses.  It is expected that students with verified disabilities will approach instructors at the beginning of the term to make appropriate arrangements for accommodations.  Please refer to the TAC’s website to learn more about the details for utilizing the LSA Testing Accommodation Center.   

Cases of alleged academic misconduct should be referred to my attention.  Feel free to contact my office for consultation.  I encourage you to remind students of your expectations that everyone will act with integrity, and to reinforce that message on your syllabus.  See Academic Integrity in the College of LSA for procedures. 

As always, we in Student Academic Affairs are available to help clarify issues regarding student concerns or academic policy.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Best wishes for a successful term.

Undergraduate Student Academic Policies Fall 2013 (August 30, 2013)

Archive

2011-12

Progress Report Memo, Winter 2012 (2/15/12)

I am writing to inform you that the on-line Academic Progress Report is now available for use. As you may know the Academic Progress Report can serve as an important tool for helping individual students recognize and respond to any academic challenges they might be encountering.

Undergraduate Student Academic Policies, Winter 2012 (1/3/12)

Greetings and welcome back to the Winter 2012 term, after what I hope was a pleasant holiday break. This memo serves as a gentle reminder of College policies and relevant information for the semester.

Letter to Chairs and Directors (11/11/11)

I am writing to announce the opening of the LSA Testing Accommodation Center (TAC). Beginning on Monday, November 14, 2011, this new facility will assist instructors in meeting the needs of...

On-line Academic Progress Reports (10/17/2011) (PDF)

I am writing to draw your attention to the On-line Academic Progress Report, which can serve as an important tool for helping individual students recognize and respond to any academic challenges they might be encountering...

Undergraduate Student Issues, Fall 2011 (9/1/2011) (PDF)

This letter provides a link to the Handbook for Faculty and Instruction Staff; speaks about academic integrity in the College, student absences, submitting Progress Reports for students instructors have concerns about; and important deadlines.

College of Literature, Science & the Arts 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1382 © 2014 Regents of the University of Michigan