Imes and Moore Mentorship
Background: The Imes & Moore Mentorship Award (formerly the Imes & Moore Faculty Award) is presented to faculty members who have made exceptional contributions toward recruiting and mentoring graduate students in the sciences from disadvantaged and non-traditional backgrounds. This award honors Elmer Samuel Imes, the second African American to receive a Ph.D. in physics in the United States, and Willie Hobbs Moore, the first African American woman to receive a Ph.D. in physics in the United States. Both received their Ph.D.s from our Department of Physics – Imes in 1918 and Moore in 1972.
Eligibility: Tenured and tenure-track faculty in the natural sciences are eligible for this award. Nominees cannot receive this award more than once.
Calendar for Submission and Evaluation of Nominations: A call for nominations is sent out in mid-January each year, with nominations accepted until mid-to-late February. An advisory committee and the Dean select the award recipient, who will be announced in May. The successful nominee is presented a certificate acknowledging his or her contributions to recruiting and mentoring, and a one-time payment of $3000, at the beginning of the following academic year. The $3000 prize can be used for additional salary or research support; if used to pay additional salary, this will include the cost of benefits.
A nomination should include the following:
1. Brief supporting statement from Chair, Associate Chair, or Director. Please limit the length of this statement to no more than two pages (single-spaced, standard font and margins).
2. Copy of the nominee's curriculum vitae.
3. Letters of support from two former graduate students of the nominee. Each letter should be limited to no more than two pages (single-spaced, standard font and margins). The nominee should be given the option of requesting these letters of support directly from students of his or her choice.
All submissions should be in electronic form. Paper submissions will not be accepted. Each nomination should be sent as a SINGLE PDF file to Associate Dean Angela Dillard (email@example.com) and Cameron Gibelyou (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please title the PDF file “Imes and Moore, [Nominee Name], [Name of Nominating Department]”.
LSA Faculty & Staff
- Academic Affairs
- Budget and Finance
- Chairs and Directors
- Development, Marketing & Communications (DMC)
- Expect Respect
- Facilities & Operations
- Graduate Education
- Human Resources
- Information Technology (LSA IT)
- Instructional Support Services (ISS)
- Key Administrators
- Management Information Systems (MIS)
- Office of the Dean
- Security and Safety
- Shared Services
- Standard Practice Guide
- Student Academic Affairs
- Undergraduate Education
- Academic Initiatives
- Awards for Undergraduate Teaching
- Individual Award for Outstanding Contributions to Undergraduate Education
- Department Award for Outstanding Contributions to Undergraduate Education
- Matthews Underclass Teaching
- Imes and Moore Mentorship
- Class of 1923 Memorial Teaching Award and John Dewey Award
- Excellence in Concentration Advising
- Ruth M. Sinclair Memorial
- Curriculum Committee
- Faculty Resources
- Student Services Resources
- Student Recruitment
- Staff List